Labour Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 5 September 2010 3.21pm
Hi..I just wondered if anyone knew where the Labour Exchange was situated in either Tooley St. or Tower Bridge Road at the outbreak of War.My dad was a Commissionaire,(more of a uniformed doorman really I suppose) there before being called up,he may have been there after the war in the same job.It would be great if there were pictures available..I guess the local library local history section would be the place.Many thanks to any local historian who might know..Glenn Bradshaw.
Monday 6 September 2010 8.04am
I don't know the precise location but There will be something either at the local studies place on Borough High Street or, more likely, at the London Metropolitan Archive. Best to go in person but if you're a long way away, the latter does a telephone service.
Monday 6 September 2010 8.57am
Thanks Gavin...I'll get on it...cheers...Glenn Bradshaw.
Monday 6 September 2010 10.44am
There was a junior labour exchange in 1959 in walworth road, where the post office is today i think. They had a man in uniform at the fron directing you..i dont think he was a receptionist? twenty years later I know, but he may have returned to work for them later, please God he survived the war...
Monday 6 September 2010 10.50am
Hello ...thanks very much for dad did survive the war and soon after got promoted to a clerical post in County Hall..thanks a lot for your input! Glenn Bradshaw.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 8.26am
just had a thought Glenn, try the old Kellys Directory. It was a street directory, i.e.

1 Smith stree....Harris Drapers

2 Smith " Browns butchers

3 Smith " Alsmhouses etc.

the reference library at the borough should have them.
Thursday 9 September 2010 9.00am
Hi....thanks for all info...looks like I was wrong about the location,thanks all the same for the help,cancelling the whole thing now...cheers...Glenn Bradshaw.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: