Streetcars Demise

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 5 September 2010 8.16pm
Good concept, tarnished brand. Seems to me they've grown too big, too quick and have failed to up the support necessary to maintain acceptable standards. Nor do they listen. When there are problems they try to buy you off with enough money for a pizza, come out with some scripted platitudes then hope you go away.

Why not grow up, own up, accept there are problems and promise to deal with them.
I can't recommend them anymore and for such an unreliable, untrustworthy operation to promote themselves for business use, when they can't even keep casual users satisfied, is a joke.
Sunday 5 September 2010 10.14pm
Have they gone bust?
Monday 6 September 2010 1.51am
Not that I know of, although their merger with ZipCar seems to be running into anti-competition problems.

I've been a Streetcar member since early 2005, and although I still think they are great, I do agree with OP that their customer service has slipped as they have grown. I'd still recommend them though, and given that owning a car would be a) expensive given my usage patterns, and b) impossible to park where I live, I can't complain (yet).
Tuesday 7 September 2010 1.02am
Point well made Mutton but for me (also a long time customer & previously a happy one) today was a case of another day, yet another problem and yet another hand out by way of apology. Why not invest all those hand outs into improving service? I guess because it's cheaper this way so long as people put up with it.

At least this time the call centre admitted that they cannot cope and have several hundred or seven hundred (not sure which) unanswered emails to deal with. Proof if any were needed. How about a public apology and a plan for how they will improve. This situation is crying out for competition not consolidation. Imagine if the acquisition does get sanctioned......
Tuesday 7 September 2010 7.06am
Member since 2007, and I'd agree - very much gone downhill.

I miss the simplicity of the original all-golf concept. They got more complicated and thus there is more to go wrong.

J
Tuesday 7 September 2010 7.12am
I am not a member though I like the concept. My reason is simple; there are nevver any cars in the bay, meaning that (surely?) there is a shortage of available cars. I think they're victims of their own success. As a member, do you find it difficult to get a car when YOU want it, from a location convenient to you?
Tuesday 7 September 2010 3.58pm
The range of cars they offer is fine by me and as for availability, well that is just pot luck. They have added quite a few in SE1 recently but you still have to book well in advance to get a car at weekends.

Car range and volume is up to them of course but what is unacceptable for me is the really bad customer service. Polite individuals but they just don't have the capacity to adequately manage their network anymore. The back office hasn't grown with the fleet so it seems and that's just bad planning.

For me and a growing number of people I talk to, using Streetcar versus running your own cheap car has become a really marginal decision because of the significant hassle factors. It used to be clear cut just on the basis of economics. Unless they improve then I'm out and a lot of others too it seems. Word will get around.
Tuesday 7 September 2010 9.12pm
zipcar/streetcar would work better as a co-operative, the growth has been pushed so that the owners can float on the stock market as quick as possible!
Wednesday 8 September 2010 3.50pm
A Streetcar Named Demise?
Wednesday 8 September 2010 3.59pm
And if you want a car for a whole day, or multiple thereof, then there are plenty of mainstream car rental companies who can do you a cheaper deal (with more flexibility on the size of car you rent).

For one-way quick trips with bulky stuff, I'd come to the conclusion that a black cab in one direction, combined with public transport in the other direction was more convenient and of a similar price to Street/Zipcar.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: