Pope

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Tuesday 7 September 2010 3.36pm

Related news & features

Wednesday 8 September 2010 8.13am
Beetroot Why do you call the pope vile?
Wednesday 8 September 2010 8.39am
Great opportunity for Peter Tatchell to get himself in the news again trying to arrest the Pope.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 9.37am
I may well go and 'heil Hitler' him...

He's a vile man because he
a. is basically in charge of an international paedophile ring - he refuses to address the many cases of abuse of children within the catholic church.
b. Opposes the distribution of condoms - even in regards to stopping the spread of AIDS.
c. Promoting segregated education - bye bye evolution, hello Adam and Eve.
d. Believes in denying abortion - even in extreme cases
e. Opposes equal rights for lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender people
f. denies the Nazi use of gas chambers in the holocaust.

These views should not be held by a valid figurehead in society in 2010.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 10.53am
Mr. Ratzinger is a rather creepy fellow, I cant see anything remotely "Holy" about him, his demeanor is that of a rather dreary clerk. The Catholic Church has a great deal of work to do explaining itself and I dont expect any proper answers. However, I do not know why we are hosting this man for masses of money...what has he done for us? It is an absolutely unneccesary exercise, and I dont know a single good argument for it.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 11.08am
I wonder if Gwynaethva could calm down.

There is not a shred of evidence that the Pope is in charge of "an international paedophile ring".

This Pope has made it clear that the Church worldwide has not always handled allegations correctly and much has changed in recent years.

Benedict XVI never denied "the Nazi use of gas chambers in the holocaust".

Indeed the Holy Father has been to the Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem and also visited the former Nazi death camp at Auschwitz which he called a "place of horror”.

Free debate is good but exaggeration does not help anyone's cause.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 2.05pm
Is this an anti-Pope or anti Roman-Catholic thread,what ever your views on the Present Pope and the teachings of the Catholic Church, Roman Catholic Churches are full on sundays, there has been a Roman Catholic Church presence in S.E. 1 for generations.
The Priests living, serving and in deed dying in the Community as some of the Priests from Dockhead Church did in the Blitz.
The Church and the Catholic Charity Cafod do tremendous work here and abroad.

The Pope should be treated as any other State Leader, but the animosity shown on this thread, suggests a difficult time for those organising the visit and events .
Hopefully those who wish to celebrate their Religious faith at one of the Open-Air Masses will be allowed to do so.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 2.31pm
nomad wrote:
The Pope should be treated as any other State Leader,
Well, possibly not entirely, imho.

If we're saying that The Vatican is a state, then TP should be treated with approximately the same amount of pomp as, say, the leader of San Merino or Andorra.

I'd have thought that TP's main claim to fame would be as a religious leader, rather than as a state leader. In which case, I'd expect him to be given the same sort of reception as, say, the Dalai Lama or similar.

[And love him or loathe him, I'd advise uprated suspension on the Popemobile, or a thick cushion, if he's planning to cross Lambeth Bridge at any speed on his driveabout. It's quite bumpy across there for an old bloke.]

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 2.49pm
nomad wrote:
The Church and the Catholic Charity Cafod do tremendous work here and abroad.

Well, it's not really charity if it's got strings attached, now is it? It's PR.
Wednesday 8 September 2010 3.01pm

does he need to come over.I'm sure all the answers are here
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: