Aggressive Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 10 September 2010 10.17am
Has anyone else noticed in the past few weeks the areas around the borough market have become a hotbed of aggressive begging. It's always been a problem, but has escalated to a whole new issue. You cannot stand outside the Market Porter and have a drink without an onslaught of people in your face demanding money. It's absolutely blatant and it's outrageous that it seems to be tolerated by the local police.

Last night I had the usual massive black Rastafarian guy right in my face telling me I need to give him a pound, then three junkies in succession demanding cash and cigarettes.

Not to mention the useless bearded moron that sits by the Lloyds cash point heckling people as they take money out of the wall. Can't even buy a pint of milk in Sainsburys without having to step over some women lying on a cardboard bed.

It needs to be stopped because as the nights draw in I predict there will be muggings - 100%.

I am keen to raise this issue officially but the police are simply not interested, I have phoned them many times and they simply say they are too busy.

I love the SE1 and I am watching go down the toilet and really bothers me. Anyone else feel strongly about this/keen to try and do something about it and raise the profile of this problem?
Friday 10 September 2010 11.49am
Do you mean this guy? I took this photo in 2008 but he is one of the regular people I have seen begging there.
www.t52.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2008-06-08-plusx039.jpg

[embedded image turned into non-clickable link]
Friday 10 September 2010 12.06pm
There is loads of dodgement occuring, it's rife.

Last week I had a massive row with a fat bloke in a bad chino suit wandering around with a fake charity shield cup claiming to be collecting for Save the Children. People were giving him loads of money. The minute I questioned his legitimacy his level of aggression was ridiculous.
Friday 10 September 2010 3.22pm
Agreed. There have been earlier threads on this which seem to weary the editor. The topic recurs because the police and the council simply don't do the job we pay them to do. Living near Tower Bridge it is shaming to see this image of our country projected to the rest of the world. I travel widely and such national disgrace simply isn't tolerated in many cities much poorer than London.

The social acceptance of begging is a typically cruel culturally liberal mannerism that harms mixed up youngsters who see it as an alternative. And it devalues SE1.
Friday 10 September 2010 5.25pm
Beggers go where they can get money off of people with money. That is why they go to Buwwa market now.
Also can not understand how the small cafes can block the pavement and nobody says anything on here.
Lets find out there boundary of there property is and make them stick to it. I do not want to walk through loads of poeple blocking my way looking for a double the usual price jar of olives.
Real SE1
Friday 10 September 2010 5.30pm
Doesn't seem particularly necessary or useful to post up pictures of people begging.
Friday 10 September 2010 7.07pm
They dont want them on there doorstep thats why?
Real SE1
Friday 10 September 2010 7.58pm
markadams99 wrote:
The social acceptance of begging is a typically cruel culturally liberal mannerism that harms mixed up youngsters who see it as an alternative.

That's the most stupid thing you've ever posted on here.
Friday 10 September 2010 8.12pm
Real - could you explain what you find so appealing about stepping over the indigent when going about your business?

Is it aesthetic? They make the area look so authentically Dickensian, don't they?

Or is it so that you can know there's someone worse off than you and you can look down on them?
Friday 10 September 2010 8.39pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Doesn't seem particularly necessary or useful to post up pictures of people begging.

I agree with Merlin Rouge.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: