Tooley Street pavement - obstruction by London Dungeon visitors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 September 2010 4.29pm
Walking up Tooley Street with my partner and our two kids (one of whom is pushchair-bound, being 16 months old),on Saturday afternoon at about 2:30 p.m., we were unable to get past London Dungeon without spilling into the road due to the queue for the Dungeon spilling out, far beyond its barriered 'lane'. There was a security guard present given that we had to spill out onto the road, I felt dutybound to inform him of the danger at the end to which he rudely and abruptly replied: "We've got a licence from Southwark Council to use the pavement for our queues." I tried to reason with him, saying that the pavement ought to be clear for pedestrians but he just walked off muttering something under his breath about having real work to do!

Whatever the Dungeon says, the pavement is there primarily for pedestrians and I think the London Dungeon would do well to treat local people with more respect. I live and work on Tooley Street and was born in Guy's Hospital and I should not have to walk into the road so a bunch of tourists can queue for some overpriced rubbish. I appreciate that for the most part the queue is contained, but on Saturday it was streaming down to Stainer Street (and taking up the whole width of the pavement) and going up the other way too.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Monday 13 September 2010 4.47pm
I expect 'Keepin' it' Real SE1 will have...

I hope none of them were eating olives or cheese like luvies tend to!

A letter to Southwark Council would seem to be the best option.
Monday 13 September 2010 9.15pm
I'm not sure whether your post is intended to be sarcastic but it certainly adds nothing. A letter to Southwark Council has already been sent and was done first thing this morning; I want to know how the Dungeons can claim they have a licence to take up the whole footpath.

The point of my post was to find out whether anybody else had experienced this problem.
Monday 13 September 2010 9.43pm
Yes Gavin, I have indeed experienced exactly what you speak of on many, many occasions. I don't see how they can get away with taking up the whole pavement, which they seem to often do!

Personally, I abhor the London Dungeons as it is a load of rubbish and a complete rip off!

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you had trouble getting through, especially given the circumstances. Please keep us posted on Southwark Council's response.
Monday 13 September 2010 9.53pm
Hmm - my suggestion was that you put your complaint in writing to the people that control the licence to the security guard referred. Sorry if you feel that's adding nothing...

Did this chap really claim that the licence allows them to use the 'whole' footpath as you suggest? I would suggest that their licence allows partial use and therefore if this is being abused the best course of action would be to contact Southwark, in writing, enclosing photographic evidence.

Good luck.
Tuesday 14 September 2010 7.30am
The security guard sounds dopey, and not versed in social skills..If I were a shopkeeper and my wares extended further on the pavement outside my shop than the council highways/pavement inspector allowed. I would be made to stop. Unfortunately the tourists are not boxes, have not been past there lately is there no clear barrier to stop 'splillage' and obstruction?
Wednesday 9 February 2011 11.15am
The battle between London Bridge Experience and London Dungeon has, inevitably, got legal.

Evening Standard, Tuesday 8 February 2011

Wednesday 9 February 2011 11.26am
That piece in the Standard was based on a longer article in the Independent yesterday morning:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ghouls-go-to-war-over-the-tourist-pound-2207436.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 February 2011 5.11pm
I too have experienced lots of tourists spilling across the whole pavement especially at weekends and giving dirty looks when you say "excuse me please" just to get by and still remain on the pavement. In future I will use my camera phone to capture the moment for the benefit of submitting it to the council as proof.
I've often passed when they are queing outside the barrier and the security/wardens just ignore it.
Good luck with the letter to the council. Let's know if you get a reply.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: