Tanner street oilman

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 September 2010 5.24pm
My great-grandfather Thomas Robinson was a oilman colorist at 120 tanner street about 1900. Does anyone have any more information about the person and address?

Randall Robinson,las Vegas
Tuesday 14 September 2010 12.44am
Wow, Las Vegas! I wonder what Thomas would have made of that!

you might find some information on Tanner Street in the Charles Booth Archive here:Booth notebooks Charles Booth and his colleagues walked every street in London, assessing the relative poverty of the buildings and the inhabitants, drawing up a colour coded map ranging from yellow to show the most well off streets, through red, pink, purple, blue and black to indicate the very worst areas. His notebooks have a wealth of fascinating little details about life back in the 1890s and are fully searchable online.

Find my pasthas the census records - there are other sites that have them as well.
Tuesday 14 September 2010 7.22am
Auntie Pat years ago when doing one of my can't sleep trawlings came accross a site which described the notebooks of Police constables various beats. It was fascinating as I found the street where my Mum was born and it was described as 'very poor but clean, a vase of flowers were noted' and had a lot of detail of individual house numbers and rents.

And do you know what a cretin you have here did not bookmark it! and have searched several times since trying to find the flipping thing! It would be wonderful Auntie Pat if you or someone reading this could point us in the right direction..:-)
Tuesday 14 September 2010 11.11am
[img]http://
[/img]
Tuesday 14 September 2010 11.33pm
Jan I think that may actually be the Booth notebooks - he and his workers went out on their walks accompanied by policemen. Give it a try!
Wednesday 15 September 2010 7.24am
What exactly is an Oil & Colorman? (sic)
Wednesday 15 September 2010 2.56pm
Supplier of paints, colour washes, at a guess at that time probably the originator of choose your own colour and they blended to mix, bit like dulux! hint of a tint etc. Most paints at that time were probably mixed to order, and perhaps its like the oilshop that used to be Fogdens in long lane, sould parafin, linseed, turps,distemper etc.

Thank you aunty Pat, I shall trawl again :-)
Wednesday 15 September 2010 4.00pm
Oh right! Now I get it. Didn't realise it was quite as literal as that. Thanks Jan.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network