Moving to SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 14 September 2010 5.20pm
Hi,

I have recently started renting a flat on Tooley Street, the Jamaica Road end and wondered what feedback I could get about the area. I am fairly familar with it as a visitor, and I have only moved from Bexley. I will be working and cycling to Waterloo.

I have already read a few earlier threads regarding the crime around the estates. Is this still a problem? Can anyone give any advice about places to eat/shop/enjoy?

Thanks
Tuesday 14 September 2010 6.01pm
Hi Jenny
Welcome,
I can't say much about Crime, I don't think there is any more here than anywhere else. Some back streets are very badly lit at night. So obvioulsy be safe at night as you would be anywhere. If you look up Southwark Community Police on the Internet, they will advise you I think.
If you enjoy the Theatre. There are lots of offers for SE1 residents The Young Vic two boroughs project
If you google it, they will offer you some free tickets and some cut price. The Old Vic do cheap tics for residents on Wednesdays I beleive you have to pick these up in person with ID. The National, Globe, Southwark Playhouse, the Union etc have a plethora of offers, sometimes advertised here on this forum. The national Film theatre on the Southbank also does discount membership.
There is every resturant under the sun, many again recomended on this site, esp. the SE1-ers mission with finding good curry(joke) If you are looking for some thing in particular post it and your neighbours will help you.
It is a great and friendly place to live and very handy for transport. The Borough Market is lively but there is a massive chance of being ripped off and the tourists can drive you mad. They can charge you ten quid for a bit of cheese the size of a dairy-lea triangle. Becaue they let you taste it, you can feel gulity, i have lived here long enough now, never to get guilty over cheese.
They tend to sell veg. and bread off cheaper about 4pm on a Saturday.
According to many of us avoid Sainsburys on Borough High Street and Tesco on Long Lane unless you are desperate. If something is exceptionaly good or bad this forum will soon let every one know!

Hope it helps. Enjoy.
Tuesday 14 September 2010 6.09pm
I realised after this flew out it sounded like I was saying the maddening tourists were selling Dairy-Lea
Triangles. This was a bad steer Jenny, infact I meant some (though) not all of the stalls. You can tell I have had issues with this-oh dear,
Tuesday 14 September 2010 6.10pm
I realised after this flew out it sounded like I was saying the maddening tourists were selling Dairy-Lea
Triangles. This was a bad steer Jenny, infact I meant some (though) not all of the stalls.
Tuesday 14 September 2010 9.09pm
Thank you Donna

I am very keen to attend more plays so your tips about the discounts will come in handy! Borough has been one of my favourite areas to visit in London for quite some time - I am hoping I will feel the same as a resident! I have had a wonderfully insightful email from the police team advising me about safety and areas to avoid at night.

Are there any specific restaurants you can recommend? My family and I regularly eat at a Vietnamese restaurant in Surrey Quays called Cafe East, and my mum likes La Lanterna in Shad Thames, in case either take your fancy! I am keen to avoid the supermarkets as much as possible so if you also know of any good grocers or veggie shops that would be appreciated.

Jenny
Wednesday 15 September 2010 8.42am
Jenny,

Welcome to the area.

Places to eat - my favourites are Tentatzioni (Italian) on Mill Street, as well as the pizzeria across the road, and the Chophouse on Shad Thames. For lunch, Chophouse again, Tentatzioni again and also the Tentatzioni deli on Queen Elizabeth Street is amazing. As is the Le Pont De La Tour deli on Shad Thames (amazing artichoke).

The Circle Spa on Queen Elizabeth Street is a nice small gym, they just upgraded their steam room and sauna, now sitting in the steam room is like something from a NASA launch.

El Vergel on Southwark Bridge Road is godlike, Latin American food.
Wednesday 15 September 2010 10.09am
James B
has mostly beat me too it. But TAS on the Cut I like
and it's big brother on Isabella St EV ( Runs Parrallel to the Cut) The best curry ( I will open up a can of worms here) is I think Nanaaz (spelling not sure) on Snowfields (between guys hospital-Long lane -ish)There is a great Thai 'Caf' on lower Marsh St whose name has just escaped me. As you are working in W.Loo I am sure you will explore Lower Marsh in general. There is a quirky bar called BAR there (with a motorbike in the window) where you can take your own food, so buy a drink and get yourself a Thai Takeaway. There is also a butcher/green grocer and there usued to be great stalls but this is sadley in decline.

Independent Veggie shops very hard to find because of the market, but more importantly the evil supermarkets, there is non really on my side of Borough High Street. I get most of most from the market. Maybe other forumers can help with your Tooley st. side I don't know quite so well.

Enjoy!!!
Wednesday 15 September 2010 11.39am
Donna Flavia - have you tried the greengrocers on Gt Suffolk St?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 September 2010 11.44am
Oh yes, sorry I forgot about that one, must frequent again. There is also a butcher there.
Thank-You
Wednesday 15 September 2010 2.00pm
Donna - Nawaz?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: