Dispute with Crystal Dry Cleaners on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 15 September 2010 9.12pm
Hi,

I haven't had a fantastic experience with Crystal Dry Cleaners on TBR & wondered if anyone else has had similar.

I paid for a business suit to be dry cleaned & it came back with 3 x HOLES in the jacket sleeves! The holes were the same position (side upper arm) on both sleeves. The owner/ manager finally offered to pay for the costs to have the jacket invisibly mended.

The repair cost was £112 & due to the fabric type, not so invisible. I took the receipt & jacket back to Crystal Dry Cleaners for inspection on Saturday & was told to return on Monday for reimbursement. When I returned, the owner/ manager asked if this payment would settle the dispute. I agreed. Then he explained that his insurance wouldn't cover the bill & he would have to pay for it himself. He then started to work out HALF of the repair bill! That wasn't the agreement at all. We couldn't work it out so I said I'd have to take it further.

I called back later for their details & was then offered half in cash & half in credit - to keep me happy. (Why would I be happy? I'd trusted them with an expensive suit & even with the repair, the suit was ‘less than' I began with.) Again I stated that it wasn't the agreement & under the circumstances, why would I want to use their services again? I said I would have no choice but to take him to small claims court. The manager/ owner said that was fine. He'd been there before!!

I've never had anything lost or damaged with a dry cleaner before. I honestly wasn't expecting this! I think it's outrageous behaviour & poor business.

Advice from anyone?

Thanks - Sharon.
Wednesday 15 September 2010 10.21pm
I've never had any problems with them, they're one of the best in this area, but you could try southwark trading standards
Thursday 16 September 2010 8.01am
firstly, we have used this business under several owners for many years and always had excellent service.

now, firstly, it is the time to put your complaint in writing to the shop, in full and in writing.

next, see if they are a member of the textile services association. they have their own lab testing scheme to determine fault and rule on any dispute and award compensation and refund testing fee.

you can arbitrate (if not in TSA) if you both agree.

otherwise it's small claims.

one golden rule - put it in writing.
second golden rule - see above rule.
Thursday 16 September 2010 8.47am
Thanks. Am definitely putting my complaint in writing prior to any action. I also asked Crystal Dry Cleaners if they were part of the Textile Services Association & was told no.

I have used them in the past - years ago. I thought they looked professional & had a basic repair on a pair of trousers (replacing the back belt loops that wear first). That came back with pen on one leg. I took it back (no admission of fault by the cleaners) & it came back perfectly pressed but covered in a layer of fluff. I put it in the too hard basket really as I couldn't keep taking it back.

For years I've been using another local dry cleaner. They've had changes in staff (tailor). I wanted to try a new cleaner (with a good tailoring service) & checked this website. The recommendations for Crystal Dry Cleaners on balance seemed favourable & they also had good feedback on their willingness to sort out issues when they arose.

Oh, the irony!

Sharon.
Monday 20 September 2010 1.20pm
sorry to hear about this bad experience. They helped me with my stained wedding dress recently, when the other bigger and posher dry cleaners next to barclays were really rude and unhelpful. And it was very cheap so I am shocked to hear about this.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: