The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Tuesday 21 September 2010 9.19pm
Why are the developers of The Shard allowed to construct the tower all hours of the day (and night) without consideration for the local residents and patients at Guy's Hospital?

The noisy racket emanating from the construction of The Shard is lasting longer and longer each day. Southwark Council boast of a Code of Construction Practice that is supposed to limit construction work to 8am-6pm Monday to Friday (plus a bit on Saturday) and is designed to protect neighbours from the obtrusive noise generated in construction. However, within the last week I have complained twice, once early in the morning and once late at night, to the Council's helpful Environmental Enforcement team. On both occasions they visited the site of The Shard only to be shown a “Section 61 notice”. Apparently, someone within the Council has given prior consent (the Section 61 notice) for 24-hour noisy works. It is unclear how many days this covers but it allows the builders to cause a noise nuisance whenever they like during the day(s) covered by the notice.

What's the point of promoting good neighbourly construction policies if Southwark are going to exempt the largest constructor of the lot?

If you are a resident or a hospital patient and feel like complaining then the noise team can be reached on 7525 5777.
Tuesday 21 September 2010 11.21pm
It's buzzing along right now. It's not intolerable from here luckily but I sympathise. It looks like a busy little village up there.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 6.12am
its a busy part of town in one of the worlds busiest cities...we dont live in chipping norton! cant see what the problem is
Wednesday 22 September 2010 8.04am
How close are you?
I'm amazed at how little noise they make. It's like a giant meccano set with a poured concrete core. Mostly welding and nuts and bolts. They were welding all last night, adding steel and made very little noise judged from Newcomen Street anyway.
Guys generators make a constant background hum and when the Shards are added it will be like living on a cross channel ferry.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 8.31am
I suggest that if anyone doesnt like the noise of europes largest and most iconic building being constructed in SE1, then they move !
Wednesday 22 September 2010 12.17pm
I don't live near enough to be bothered by noise but if I did I'd find that last suggestion pretty intolerable.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 12.27pm
boroughmark wrote:
I suggest that if anyone doesnt like the noise of europes largest and most iconic building being constructed in SE1, then they move !

I'ts not that easy to just 'move' if you live in local council or social housing property I'm afraid - we often have to put up with it - and I speak from experience.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 12.30pm
Not this old chestnut again. Clearly city life involves compromises, but telling people to move house is not a helpful response. Fine if you are affluent and mobile and can relocate on a whim. I've no idea about the noise from the Shard site, but the idea that its swift construction should trump all other quality of life considerations is offensive. It seems quite reasonable that MR MC should share his experience and invite others to share theirs.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 1.37pm
We are all entitled to our opinions however it seems free speech is being censored
Wednesday 22 September 2010 2.36pm
boroughmark wrote:
We are all entitled to our opinions however it seems free speech is being censored

Your words have not been censored, they remain unaltered. What you seem to object to is that a few people have expressed their opinion of your statement. Free speech indeed.

Fortunately I am far enough away from the Shard not to notice any noise issues. However the floodlighting for the construction works certainly adds to the light polution in my place. Perhaps when it's completed I can save on the lighting bills.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: