Smells of olde London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Mr Bridger Wednesday 7 April 2004 12.15pm
Having just brought this up in Chatter I thought I might put the feelers out in SE1.

I have often mourned the disappearance of the Sarsons factory on Tower Bridge Road. It used to smell lovely and vinegary up there even long after production had ceased, the big wooden vats giving off a wonderful aroma that always made me crave fish and chips.

I heard recently that there is a group of local residents trying to shutdown or move the coffee roasters near my estate. Not sure exactly where they are but it must be around Wilds Rents somewhere as you get this incredible smell of roasting coffee beans most mornings around 10 that pervades the whole area. Well apparantly this is the reason that some people want to close it down.

Does anyone else agree that they must be nuts? We've already lost the smell of bread being baked every morning when they replaced the Bakers Oven with the frankly sh**ty Gregs (who don't bake).

Has anyone else come across this campaign? Is it to be taken seriously?

Coffee anyone?

stick yer frothy lager.......

Advertisement

James Hatts Wednesday 7 April 2004 12.21pm
SoBo's special blend of coffee comes from Rizzi Coffee in Wilds Rents
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/view.php?venueid=399

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
hat Wednesday 7 April 2004 12.30pm
Clearly mad - I think the smell of coffee is the best bit often...if you want baking bread - Bermondsey St often smells of it, down by the church end. Always makes me feel cheerful.
Mapmaker Wednesday 7 April 2004 12.55pm
There's a strong coffee smell that comes out of the 'Rich estates' establishment between the Alaska and the self storage place.
Mr Bridger Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.18pm
we need a smell map. There used to be lots round here. And I'm currently working in Wandsworth (oh joy) which has the brewery smell.
deirdre..again! Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.28pm
In 1971 (when I was 10), we came over from Ireland (and at that time we didn't live near 'cosmopolitan' Dublin, to visit my aunt in Walthamstow.

I loved the tube (still do!), and the smell in the stations (still do!), but my favourite smell was near Blackhorse Road station - there was an 'Ever Ready' factory nearby. Walking up towards Tavistock Avenue, you got this distinctive, but neither unpleasant or overpowering odour. Not sure if the smell was from the factory. The nearest thing I get to that smell now, is if I sniff the 'date stamp' that we use in the office... - or you can sometimes get it from new electrical goods, like ghettoblasters, etc. - it may be a plasticy smell.

I love sniffing that date stamp - it's the best bit of my job!
Thermales Caninus Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.31pm
Ticino's bakery is responsible for the lovely smell of bread at the south end of Bermondsey st. The last I heard they are unfortunately under pressure from nearby residents who have moved into the area but are now complaining about noise levels.

This despite the fact that bakery and the noise it makes were in existence long before the new blocks were even built.
Mr Bridger Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.35pm
yes, this is similar to the person complaining about the noise of the bells from Southwark Cathedral. Utterly shameful. I love the smells. Anyone remember biscuits?
barkyhead Wednesday 7 April 2004 2.06pm
Unfortunately, much of Soho seems to smell of stale urine.

Ignorance is bliss
jac Wednesday 7 April 2004 2.22pm
I 've not heard of any campaign to close it down or move the coffee place in wild rents. I don't mind the smell too much although the high raosts can be a bit unpleasant more like burnt toast, which is what I thought I'd done when the smell first entered my home (which it does frequently in the summer). Would hate to see a small local business close though, in fact I wouldn't mind buying their coffee to brew at home.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions