Dead pubs, fresh bagels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.31pm
The two subjects aren't as disparate as they may appear.

I read yesterday (Tuesday Apr 6) about the Tower Bridge bagel shop on tower bridge Road, and how the fellow who runs it is thinking about quitting (under thread 'Elephant Tesco').

I popped in this morning and guess how much 6 bagels cost? 1, and they were still warm. use it or lose it.

AS for the pubs, since I moved into SoBo in Oct 2001, I have seen quite a few pubs shut their door for keeps.

The late unlamented Final Furlong spring to mind, but I would like help in compiling a list of others in the area. I know of the converted one on Grange Road, near Tower Bridge Road at the junction of Griggs Place, but can you tell me of any others?

PS. dear James, could you please move this thread over to the Chatter forum when you think it's getting tired?
hat
Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.34pm
I like the bagel shop, but it always seems to be closed at the times when I would buy one - like sundays or after 6pm (even though on their website they say they're open til 11pm) Next time you pop in - will you ask what hours they're doing for the good of the general forum - then we'll know when to go and buy our bagels?
Hat
Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.37pm
hat, I was in there at about 9.30 this morning. i got the feeling that they'd only just opened, but the woman who served me was very helpful.
Wednesday 7 April 2004 1.49pm
I popped in there about 11-ish on Sunday and it was open. Got a bagel with cream cheese, two plain bagels (for later), 3 homemade biscuits and a capaccino for about 2:50.

Helped my hangover out no end.

While I was in there a couple of people came in for Salt Beef - but it wasn't going to be ready for 3 hours. What is Salt Beef? I'm a whingeing veggie so I've never had it.
Wednesday 7 April 2004 4.58pm
Harry, Earl of Derby, corner grisggs place, Red Cow, corner of grange walk, The Horseshoe Tower bridge road demolished where trocette mansions are,( stood next to picture house ) The Ship long lane flats.
The Gloucester corner of Gavel street/Mason street, now flats,
The Globe Pub Chatham Street, closed flats?
The Globe Great Dover street, demolished, flats being built.
The Victory-Townsend street.
another one Townsend street..the cottage? demolished - just off the top of me ' ead..fink of sum more later

not the building off the top of me 'ead!

Post edited (07 Apr 04 19:02)

jan
Wednesday 7 April 2004 5.13pm
Salt beef (corned beef to the Americans) as far as I remember, silverside or brisket is pickled in a mixture of salt, sugar, saltpetre, herbs and spices for about ten days or so before being simmered in water. Absolutely delicious with Mustard and a pickle.
hat
Wednesday 7 April 2004 5.56pm
oh dear - I am clearly not getting up early enough on a sunday . Shame on me...
Wednesday 7 April 2004 5.59pm
Thanks, Jan. The evidence says that my one-man efforts to keep them all open are failing miserably.
Wednesday 7 April 2004 7.09pm
and the Duchess in Deverell Street, just off great dover street demolished....building flats....

jan
Wednesday 7 April 2004 7.56pm
Guys,
Where exactly is this famous bagel shop?
I`m salivating at the prospect of hot salt beef bagels!
I know tower bridge road pretty well and I use the hardware/electrical shop and the fruit and veg stall outside the lebanese shop, but despite looking more than once I can`t find it!
Maybe it has shutters on the windows and is closed when I look, rendering it unidentifiable.

Please give me the specific Locale so I can get down there pronto.

thanks

Jo
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: