Elephant and Castle Farmers Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 26 September 2010 4.38pm
Just wanted to say how fantastic this is, something I have been waiting for a long while. Can at last treat myself to some delicious croissants on a Saturday morning! Please do support the market, there was a steady dribble of people on its first day but no doubt they will need more to keep going.
Sunday 26 September 2010 10.47pm
How much does stuff cost? Any cheese?
Sunday 26 September 2010 11.07pm
It seemed fairly reasonable to me (not cheap, but not expensive either), and yes there was a cheese stall.
Monday 27 September 2010 3.55pm
I thought this was great for a first week.

In particular the bread stand (very good, buttery extra-large croissant and a simply amazing sour-dough 'new recipe' bread). Can't say they were cheap, but you certainly got what you paid for. And that makes it good value in my book (being the book of 'less-of-a-good-thing-is-better-than-lots-of-trash')

The veg stand (mentioned in the article as being from Kent) was exceptional. Ugly but stunningly tasty fruit and veg (as it should be) cucumber, plums and super peppery watercress. All well below supermarket prices and genuine 'farm' food. Reminded me of farmers shops back in my home county.

I'll be there next week, and the week after, etc. etc.

I guess it's a bit of a black spot for foot traffic - being opposite both the shopping mall and the tube station. This is a shame. I'd hate to see it go before it even got going.
Monday 27 September 2010 7.49pm
It's vitally important to support markets like this, if only to break the gastronomic stranglehold of the Borough Market. Recent events have shown that the management at borough have become supremely arrogant, resulting in the loss of some great traders. Some competition might do them the world of good, and they may start treating their traders better if they thought they might all go elsewhere.
Saturday 16 October 2010 2.03pm
Looks like it is dying already - down to three stalls today. Of course, if would help if they did some marketing...
Saturday 16 October 2010 3.23pm
Delicious sausages and good veg too...
Saturday 16 October 2010 11.30pm
I'd like this to work but if I'm representative of the population moving into Elephant & Castle the market is finished before I wake up on a Saturday! Or maybe that's just me...
Sunday 17 October 2010 12.36am
Zappomatic has a point - I'd say 10 - 3 would be much better hours. And how about some leaflets in places like Metro Central Heights?
Sunday 17 October 2010 6.37pm
I haven't been yet. What time does it finish?
I guess one of the difficulties the traders face is the location which is sort of insular - the majority of footfall is on the other side of the road, and I'm sure the maze of subways isn't helpful either.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: