Car crime on Leathermarket Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 26 September 2010 7.35pm
Annoyingly, our car was broken into on Friday evening, sometime between 6-9pm. It was parked on Leathermarket Street and the perpetrator smashed the front passenger window. Our car is not a prime target, there was nothing of any real value in the car - three child seats and some baby toys. Regrettably, I hadn't bothered to leave the glovebox open so the thief probably thought that there was some hidden treasure in there. But actually, there was only a sign saying “No Valuables” and a satnav cable (not the device). The thief stole the cable! However, the environmentally conscious thief kindly deposited the near worthless cable in one of the small green waste bins in Leathermarket Gardens so I was able to retrieve it (yes, I did go looking in the bins).

Anyhow, I just wanted to let neighbours know that for years we have left our car parked with the glovebox open and in it a sign saying “No Valuables” and had no trouble. On the occasion that I didn't do this our car was attacked. Lesson learnt.
Sunday 26 September 2010 8.22pm
Similar experience on Dolben Steet, our car was broken into and nothing taken, but passenger window has to be replaced. We have also seen this happening to other cars on the street. Hoping that we can do something to deter car crime in the area.
JJH
Monday 27 September 2010 10.20am
I had my passenger side window smashed two weeks ago in Leathermarket Street. Nothing was taken, but I'd left the glove box closed, which was foolish of me. Now I always leave it open.

And now last week I had my driver side window in White's Grounds. So even with glove box open there is someone on the prowl who likes smashing windows.

What can you do to stop it? Would a sticker help? At this rate I'm going to need an account with Autoglass... :o(
Monday 27 September 2010 11.35am
there's been a few similar incidents happening on Bermondsey Street recently too, I've seen three cars in as many weeks with broken passenger windows...
it's a bugger really 'cos it feels like such a safe area too :(
Monday 27 September 2010 9.36pm
Was the sat-nav cable on show?

If so you were asking for a lowlife to break in.

If there's a sat-nav cable on show then there's a good chance that the unit is somewhere in the car as very few people bother to remove them.

I don't see the point in a 'no valuables sign' as it suggests that you might be trying to hide something, rather than acting as a deterrant.
Wednesday 29 September 2010 8.58pm
Hi there MR MC,

I just read your post about your car being broken into. I am a journalist working on behalf of the South London Press and would like to interview you about this. I think this issue is very interesting and there would be a strong possibility of the story being published. If you could get in touch, that would be great.

Zab
Thursday 30 September 2010 2.49pm
A few weeks ago I walked past one of the Zipcars in Exton Street and noticed that its passenger window had been smashed (presumably) overnight. I'm not sure if they'd seen the keys inside and thought they could drive away in the car, which obviously wouldn't work!
Monday 4 October 2010 1.43pm
And another on Saturday 2nd / Sunday 3 Oct on Shand Street under the Tunnel. Drivers window smashed in, Glass everywhere.
Glove box and Center console opened and a few bits taken. No SatNav in the car. But a cable could be seen.

What else can you do - ??

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: