last weeks waitress job at The Crown

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 28 September 2010 3.01pm
If you rang about the waitress job advertised last week

Please ring again as we are now re-looking

Thanks

Phil
The Crown
020 7261 9524
Wednesday 29 September 2010 9.43am
You need to be careful. It is illegal under both the Sex Discrimination Act and the Equality Act to place a gender specific job advert.

Discrimination in Advertising A Recruiter's Guide [PDF]
Wednesday 29 September 2010 9.56am
Hmm, I thought about that when I saw this:

Black male dancer required

Surely that's wrong on two counts? Or are there exceptions for performers?
Wednesday 29 September 2010 10.14am
La Martinet, I believe they can make exceptions in the case of 'black male dancer required' but I think they may have to quote that it is an exempted role pursuant to whatever legislation allows exemptions to be made.
Wednesday 29 September 2010 11.08am
I can see where the need to be male might be relevant (in being a dancer. I'm working from the assumption that some parts are danced by men and some by women - but I'm aware that this isn't always the case even in dance - i.e. the all male Swan Lake of a few years' back), but can't see where the need to be black comes in.

If a dance co can specify skin colour as well as gender, can phil ask for a "busty blonde barmaid", or a "ripped, tall dark handsome barman"?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 30 September 2010 1.18pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
If a dance co can specify skin colour as well as gender, can phil ask for a "busty blonde barmaid", or a "ripped, tall dark handsome barman"?

Personally I'd rather see the latter....
Thursday 30 September 2010 1.57pm
Tattie wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

Personally I'd rather see the latter....

I second Tattie!! ;o)
Friday 1 October 2010 2.37pm
Ladies

I am here all day ! ;-)
Friday 1 October 2010 3.10pm
All employers should read this article.
Referring to a woman as a lady could be misconstrued.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11453052

The new Equality Act and you
1 October 2010 Last updated at 12:53

Protection from harassment has been further extended so that the employer can be held liable for harassment by a third party, such as a customer or contractor” Has the world gone bonkers?

A one-off incident may amount to harassment, and so the victim need not have made the perpetrator aware that the conduct was unwanted.

The definition covers conduct which is "related to" a protected characteristic - a protected characteristic being sex, race, religious belief etc.

This means that there is no need for the particular employee's characteristics to be the reason for the unwanted conduct in order to trigger liability.
Friday 1 October 2010 3.24pm
bigphil wrote:
Ladies
I am here all day ! ;-)

Sorry bigphil - under the OFT regulations you have to be truthful in the description of the product and, having visited the Crown on a few occassions I know that's not the case ;o)

TVFIC
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: