The Brilliance of Leather Uppers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
kimfarley Friday 1 October 2010 3.30pm
Can't believe nobody has yet written about the food here. Or maybe I'm just new and couldn't find it on account of dur-ness. Anyway. There is a seriously good kitchen at work in this place, not to mention a great pub downstairs. The staff are sweet and lovely and the menu and execution really impressive. Give Bermondsey St a swerve and come here instead next time you want a great meal - the beautiful room and the great chef/staff deserve to be busy. I more or less joined SE1 just to say this and I'm not even vaguely connected to anyone at the place. just a happy punter with a generous boyfriend.
bigphil Saturday 2 October 2010 12.33am
more information please kim

where?
food type?
beer type?

and for mrs BP

whats the coffee like?

I drink , she drives.....sorted....
kimfarley Saturday 2 October 2010 8.45am
Sorry that post was so light on details. Right. Leather Uppers is the name for the upstairs room at the Leather Exchange pub on Leathermarket St. The meat is not leathery and you don't have to wear leather to get in. Food is posh gastro pub type I guess. Modern Brit and v well done at that - scallops with pancetta ragout and parsnip crisp, rabbit and hock terrine, pork belly with roasted roots, lamb with confit shoulder and wilted greens, that kind of stuff. Beer heaven downstairs and no snobbbery if you drink pints with your meal (though lovely short wine list available and good wines by glass) I drank discovery and beloved had Red Fox and we both argued ours was better, though I think they have at least one if not 3 other draught beers. Down with lager!! Death to the fizzy infidel! I'm sure the coffee is top notch (ie proper noisy machine stuff)but I've never had it. Hope you both love it as much as we do! Cheers
Debrajoan Saturday 2 October 2010 6.37pm
This is their website. http://www.theleatherexchange.co.uk/
Tom Pepper Thursday 7 October 2010 9.08pm
This place better be good, all the posting about it, after checking their on-line menu I have made a reservation for Friday night, I'll let you know my verdict later.
Mark Roelofsen Friday 8 October 2010 11.29am
Glad to have found this thread. After a hectic week at work I took the boyf here last night. I was looking for somewhere nice and cosy that offered good food, and thought we would give it a long overdue visit. The bar was packed (aargh, we wanted quiet), but the upstairs room was perfect - intimate (a bit too dark for some, probably) and quiet and we had a lovely meal: great sweet potato soup and rabbit terrine. Mr R's rib eye was great (better than his chorizo at Constancia, but not as good as my rib eye there - so we are talking good meat). I had a duo of pork (belly and loin, crispy and moist respectively).

Agree staff charming, and chatty (but left you to eat when the food came). Apparently the same food is served downstairs with the addition of 'sharing platters', but can't comment on those.

Will be a nice alternative to the modern bars around here, with its tradional setting (high ceiling, big windows - great view of The Shard - wooden floors, etc.)
Tom Pepper Saturday 9 October 2010 12.18am
Mark's review was just about right, I too had the pork duo, Mrs. Pepper opted for the sea bream special and enthused about it.
Our dining companions were equally happy with their respective choices.
The staff were excellent, there when you needed them, and absent otherwise.
The bill was surprisingly low considering that the four of us had not spared the horses on getting stuck into the Viognier and in my case the Belvedere vodka.
All in all an enjoyable evening, we'll be back, and I can safely recommend it to anyone.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions