Any advice for a new mover?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 3 April 2002 9.18pm
Got any advice?

I'm moving to Lynton Road, SE1 on May 10th. I didn't research the area and know very little about London full stop.

I'm after is where's hot and where's not?

I am interested in any 'no-go' areas that you're aware of.

Friday 5 April 2002 11.53am
Peckham - don't even go there,
Aylesbury Estate - dodgy
Kennington Oval stay away
Brixton is not as bad as it is made out to be, in the day it's fine.
Just use your common sense and don't carry a laptop near Barclays, Tower Bridge Road!
There is southwark tourist office just at top of Tooley Street.
The Borough Market area is great.
Go to the Tower and get boat to Greenwich. great craft market there sat and suns. greenwich park, observatory, naval museum, incredible prices for property, s.e.1. is best!
Greenwich Park, Chestnutting in October......
Friday 5 April 2002 2.40pm
Transport's one of the the best things about SE1 - buses are brilliant to the West End from the new kent road/elephant, esp on weekends. (15 mins to Cov garden, thanks to all the bus lanes.) Sadly, the no 21 to the City is useless! ....And great choice of Tubes and mainline services. Hanging about near the river, Shad thames, Hay's Galeria etc, nice in a sanitised way. And of course, borough market on saturdays..

Downsides - grotty end of Tower bridge road, and the old Kent road unless you like convenience stores! Bricklayers arms monstrosity and subways to be avoided (don't seem to be crime hotspots, surprisingly, but I guess even crims prefer to avoid the acrid stench of the subways!)

Take care in Great Dover st, - quite a few mobile thefts in that area, I've heard..

Hope you get your bearings and enjoy life in SE1!
Saturday 6 April 2002 10.31pm
stick to the residential areas, blocks of flats etc where there's always someone about. luckily we have few of those 'deserted after 6pm areas'. just walk the walk and don't look nervy, and just act like a crazy if you ever get any trouble. in fifteen years we've never had any trouble or felt threatened - it's a real neighbourhood here in sarf london. that's why we like it so much - even if we can't afford to buy so much as a garden shed anymore!
Monday 8 April 2002 3.03pm
I'm sure you won't be venturing into the pub that's actually on Lynton Rd itself... Not sure what it's called but it looks very grim. Shame really as there aren't many decent pubs in the immediate area. The Queen Vic (really!) is OK - on Southwark Park Rd, and The Claremont on Dunton Rd is passable (just). The Grange on Grange Rd is apparently quite good for basic pub grub, but I can't say as I've sampled its delights just yet. There's also The Final Furlong on Grange Rd which is, apparently, quite dodgy. The decent pubs are all about a 10 minute (minimum) walk away. Same goes for restaurants really as well, although Arancia on Southwark Park Rd is quite good. There's a big Tesco's near to Lynton Rd which is fine - although some people think it's bad. Overall the area has a nice sense of community about it and doesn't feel threatening. But it's like anything really - just have your wits about you and don't look like a completely naive, lost tourist type! The really fab thing about being over that way is that it's cheaper for property and you're near enough to all the cool stuff like Borough Market, Tate Modern, London Bridge, etc, etc.
Monday 8 April 2002 3.18pm
Thanks for the response & the advice... I'm in Islington at the moment and took a bike ride over to SE1 and look at my new house yesterday.....

The pub in Lynton road... grim? - you're being polite. I'm sure I saw So Solid Crew in there playing darts with Linkin park!

The Queen Vic does look ok though and staggering distance from my house. Just hope I pull Pat Butcher!

Haven't seen the others yet!

Thanks again for the advice. If you have any questions about football, IT, or the world of lager's I'll happilly return the compliment.

Wednesday 10 April 2002 4.17pm
hey, that was my old local, the finish, on lynton road - i used to live opposite it! it looks a bit daunting from the outside and it's a bit grim inside but the landlord was nice and there were some real characters!!
Wednesday 10 April 2002 4.24pm
Soz - didn't mean to dis your local. That's pretty much where I'm moving to.

What's it like?

Things are already looking good - I've only had girls respond to my message!
Wednesday 10 April 2002 11.39pm
>Things are already looking good - I've only had girls respond to my message!

This is the internet, things are not always what they seem...

Nuff said.
Friday 12 April 2002 8.18pm
tell the truth, i wasn't exactly a regular (and i work antisocial hours anyway) but i've had a few laughs in the finish. all human life is there!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: