Tube strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 October 2010 9.31am
So I have to get over to London Bridge and back. so I rush up to Southwark stn only to find it closed due to strike action.
NOt happy , so hail cabs , pay a bit more and still get the job done.
where do i send the extra expense incurred claim to.
maybe direct to bob crow who will happily part with 6.
somehow i doubt it.

I wonder how many people are p...ed off at the unions for this strike. who doesnt care, or who blames TFL / Boris / Cameron for this.
Monday 4 October 2010 12.00pm
Phil,

It takes twenty minutes to walk unencumbered (which, I accept you may not have been) from Southwark Station to London Bridge (Union Street, cut up to Southwark Street on the far side of Southwark Bridge Road, Borough High Street and Robert's your Mum's brother).

There are 800 jobs and levels of customer service and safety for millions of journeys at issue here.

Boris Johnson is going directly against a clear pledge in his manifesto - "...halting the proposed Tube ticket office closures, and ensuring there is always a manned ticket office at every station."
(Original PDF here)

BTW Brace yourself for more - I hear that the GLA is declaring next year the London Year of Walking.
Monday 4 October 2010 12.14pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
There are 800 jobs and levels of customer service and safety for millions of journeys at issue here.

... and of course all those pressing security concerns emerged on the day Tories are hosting their conference. Coincidence? I do not think so...

It is just a political message from the Unions to the Tories, sent of course at the expense of all the Londoners who rely on the Tube to get to work.
Monday 4 October 2010 12.36pm
Tabularasa wrote:
... and of course all those pressing security concerns emerged on the day Tories are hosting their conference. Coincidence? I do not think so...
It is just a political message from the Unions to the Tories, sent of course at the expense of all the Londoners who rely on the Tube to get to work.

If I were going to send a political message to the Tories by closing down London transport, I'd do it while they were in London, not while they were in Birmingham.
Monday 4 October 2010 3.33pm
RP

I dont mind walking and most of the time I do ,
without saying too much about what I am encumbered with, One way is usually bloody heavy.

However on the issue, is striking really going to help those that are going to be laid off, me thinks not!!

will it change plans? me thinks not!

will Bob Crow still be paid loadsamoney while members of his union struggle to put food on the table.
Me thinks yes!

so what does striking do
1. It p...ses the ordinary traveller off
2. it hinders tourists getting around london which means people in low cost service jobs may get less tips today
3. it cuts wages of those forced to be on strike

all really not good for anyone

So really what will todays strike really acheive?

Very Little

please note I have no affiliation with any political party, tfl , boris , any union . this is just my sitting on the front porch looking out view today.

cheers

and by the way RP , you may be interested, we have just had a new delivery of lancaster bomber, all settling nicely now..

cheers all

BP
Monday 4 October 2010 7.11pm
Before following the Daily Hate's vilification of Bob Crowe and other union leaders, consider two things:

a) Bob Crowe cannot bring the underground to a halt on his own. He has to have the support of his membership, who were properly balloted before coming out.

No one strikes lightly - it costs money and adds to bitterness, so it's usually done after a lot of other options have been tried.

b) Who has caused more aggravation and disruption in the last few years? The democratically elected leaders of a largely emasculated movement representing the interests of working people, or the international capitalists and bankers who speculate in essential goods, asset strip our employers, bring chaos to our economies, steal our pensions and order our governments around?

A slight delay in getting to work this morning rather pales against that, doesn't it?

And I'm looking forward to a pint or two of Bomber on Friday, Phil. It's a lovely pint.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: