Zebra Crossing - Abbey Street/Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 October 2010 4.14pm
The zebra crossing was moved two months ago, for reasons best known to our wondrous Southwark Council. The road signage was painted very quickly and yet the crossing remains 'officially closed', according to the signs hanging on the lamp posts.

The reason? The Belisha beacons are not working and covered in black plastic bags.

Two weeks ago, EDF dug up the pavement and did some work, adjacent to the Hotel. This was 'completed' and the paving stones replaced - yet still the beacons do not work.

I first contacted SC almost 7 weeks ago but have not received a reply to that enquiry or my 2nd one, 3 weeks ago. When I called again, today, there was no record of either enquiry; 'Customer Services' said they would send an email to Highways.

Looking at the Website, I cannot even find a mention of Zebra Crossings.

What does one have to do to get a response from SC - or some positive action to finish the job, on thos often very busy stretch of road?

Interestingly, I recently put in a word of thanks to the 'Green Team', for the good work they do in our local parks. I did this via the website - and they received it. So sometimes, someone does the right thing....
Tuesday 5 October 2010 4.14pm
The crossing has been switched on today - used it about half an hour ago

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 6 October 2010 12.28am
Yes, James, I used it later in the evening. I telephoned several departments, Monday and Tuesday - having been given the wrong names and extensions by the switchboard and 'Customer Services'. The final department did not return my call.....but at least, and at last, it has finally been switched on.

How long have we been putting men on the moon? :p

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: