Super sewer coming near you very soon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Thursday 7 October 2010 1.24am
Thames Water is seriously considering using King's Stairs Gardens as a construction site for a Super Sewer.YES A SUPER SEWER!!! with large permanent structures and sewage vents! This is populated residential area with a playground and a church next door, what are they thinking? and yes there are alternative sites.

Wrong for so many reasons: the lost of a lovely precious garden by the river, the smell, the potential health hazard, 7 years of construction misery in, traffic chaos, the cost(everyone's water bill will be going up to pay for the super sewer), the idea of putting a playground on top of a super sewer, etc

This is imminent and it will happen in the next month. Thames water has been clever about it and left almost no time for anyone to have a proper say.

What do you think? If like me you are against, sign the petition below and tell everyone about it.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-king-stairs-gardens.html[/b]

Any idea to oppose this super sewer in SE1?
Thursday 7 October 2010 7.14am
I'll sign.All those years spent cleaning up the river seem pointless otherwise.We need more places for children to play in safety outside, not when the wind blows have to run in...

What was Southwarks view on it? Thames Water has been sneaky it seems. Why not further down river, say near the Dome...Where are the alternative sites?

Racking my brains now trying to think how long ago near parliament the stink was unbearable , thus a more efficient sewer system was created because the elite could not stand the smells! alright for little old Southwark though...
Thursday 7 October 2010 10.00am
It's not true to say that any physical works are "imminent" - nothing will happen for a couple of years - but certainly now is the time to comment on Thames Water's proposals.

As well as King's Stairs Gardens in SE16, Thames Water also wants to use the Alfred Salter Playground next to the Downside Fisher Youth Club in Druid Street (see links to news stories above)

There will be an exhibition of the proposals at the Beormund Community Centre next Monday and Tuesday.

There seems to be a cross-party view on Southwark Council that both King's Stairs Gardens and Alfred Salter Playground are inappropriate locations for these works and that Thames Water should find alternatives. I have heard Chambers Wharf as one suggestion.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 7 October 2010 11.46am
I'm sorry to hear that an inappropriate site has been chosen for the Tideway Tuneel in SE1. Maybe you could petition for the use of an alternative site. If the Tideway Tunnel isn't built, untreated sewage will continue to hit the Thames in larger and larger quantities every time it rains (which also should be a concern for anybody living near the river). Every year, I worked out that the equivalent of 15,798 Olympic Swimming Pools worth of untreated sewage hits the Thames, and that's hardly going to be good for the City's residents and biodiversity in the Thames.

I've assurances from one of our local councillors in SE11 that the ventilation shaft planned for Vauxhall won't smell, but the Vauxhall site (where we've two sewage outlets at present) has been chosen more sensibly.

I wrote a post on the impact of the ventilation shaft at Vauxhall here, for those interested.
Thursday 7 October 2010 2.35pm
SE1chick, this isn't a sewage fountain, or a cesspit - have you read about the project? (PDF Here http://consense.opendebate.co.uk/files/thamestunnel/2-Kings_Stairs_Gardens.pdf) The entire point is environmental. It is needed to avoid dumping untreated sewage in the Thames (and peoples basements) which is current practice during heavy rain - a practice I'm sure Thames would be quite happy to continue were it not illegal.

The tunnel runs down the Thames. Ergo needs site by the river to access. Would you suggest they demolish someone's house instead?

If you value riverside recreation you should be all in favour of this improvement. If you value flushing toilets you should, similarly, be grateful for the improvement.

Jan, I hope I can reassure you that this to reduce the dumping of sewage in the river (Great Stink of 1860s pre-dated the building of the Northern and Southern Outfall sewers, southern serves southwark). There are sites all along the river as the tunnel runs all the way from out west to beckton & crossness.
Thursday 7 October 2010 10.34pm
But, as James alludes to, what about the proposed loss of the Alfred Salter playground? In an area where such facilities are virtually non-existent, the closure of this should be avoided.
Friday 8 October 2010 1.35am
I am glad this is bringing up a discussion. I have seen the plan and the many articles in the press.I am not convinced. My feeling is that this will have a real negative impact on our area as a whole for years to come whether we like it or not (not least with the issue of traffic blocking Jamaica Rd and the Rotherhithe tunnel for years, a connection point for much of London).

yes like you I am not keen on having all our sewage in the Thames either. But whilst this is not an "open cesspit" or a "sewage fountain", the concerns and issues with a super sewer next door to us are real. Thank you for the info about the shaft by the way.

The real question is really would anyone want a super sewer next to their home? Do you want all the disturbance in your area? Do you agree that a super sewer is built in the Alfred Salter Playground or in the King Stair's Garden?

Other boroughs seems so much more active and vocal in this instance. When I look in the press it is all about Hammersmith and Fulham.

yes good idea to petition for alternative site. In the meantime please check out and sign this petition:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-king-stairs-gardens.html

Sorry I did not meant the physical work to be imminent. But this project looks like it is moving forward imminently and that there is a short time for opposition. But if anyone has more information about time for opposition and what can be done please post back.

SE1Chick
Friday 8 October 2010 10.38am
Oh hello again,

James, I am interested in what you say about "the cross-party view on Southwark Council that both King's Stairs Gardens and Alfred Salter Playground are inappropriate locations". Annoyingly my computer is failing me today and I could not go on the link you've put in.

Does this means that the Council is pushing against this project being done in King's Stairs Gardens and Alfred Salter Playgrounds? I have not seen anything really indicating that the Council is resisting (or opposing) Thames Water for these sites but that would be good news.

I am not sure Chamber's Wharf is a great site either. Can't they find an area less densely populated?

xSE1Chick
Friday 8 October 2010 10.47am
The thing is that the new tunnel along the Thames needs to be connected to the existing sewer network otherwise it won't be much use.

The Lib Dem councillors who represent the wards in which the two proposed Southwark sites are located have indicated their opposition (to the choice of locations, not the tunnel per se) and likewise the Labour administration of the council has said that it will "vigorously oppose" the plans and call on Thames Water to reconsider.

So I think it's fair to say that there's a political consensus in Southwark against the proposals.

Whether local politicians of either main party can come up with viable alternative sites is another question.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
dns
Friday 8 October 2010 10.48am
Comment to jamesup - how can Thames Water justify destroying one part of the environment to save another when there are brownfield sites available. This is going to make people's lives in this community a misery. They lose their park / children's playground for the best part of a decade!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: