Cable nightclub - Bermondsey St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 October 2010 1.42pm
when did this place get a license? is it new??

walked past this sunday morning about 11.30 and it was awful.

minicabs backed up all along the tunnel and back up bermondsey st, the entrance was populated by agressive looking bunch of bouncers, the imediate vincinity seemed to radiate an air of seedyness that was unexpected at that time of a morning.

do we really want to have to walk past these types of places, with drugged up ravers hanging around, club flyers littering the street.

nasty nasty nasty...
Sunday 10 October 2010 6.44pm
It's been there for quite a while now, from May 2009 or possibly longer. I've not been past when bouncers are there but I must admit I do dislike that attitude they sometimes exude from doorways like they are in charge of the street. Couldn't help finding your description of 'drugged up ravers' a bit funny though given the sort of events they have there.
Sunday 10 October 2010 7.15pm
ha, twas definately an event of that type last night/this morning
Sunday 10 October 2010 8.32pm
Looks to have been a quality line-up last night, with Bill Brewster and Greg Wilson topping the bill. Not a regular punter at these things myself in recent times (particularly with the recent arrival of ABC jr), but it's a bit difficult to argue against clubbing in SE1 given that this is more-or-less where modern club culture first started in the UK (Southwark St and Clink St in particular).

In fact, this reminds me a bit of the time that a colleague who had just moved to St Johns Wood complained to me with a straight face that the crowds at the cricket at Lord's were ruining the neighbourhood!
Zoe
Sunday 10 October 2010 8.37pm
AndyABC wrote:
given that this is more-or-less where modern club culture first started in the UK (Southwark St and Clink St in particular).

Do explain further!
Sunday 10 October 2010 9.04pm
Zoe wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
given that this is more-or-less where modern club culture first started in the UK (Southwark St and Clink St in particular).

Do explain further!

Well - seeing as you ask:

A good summary here: http://www.dontpaniconline.com/magazine/southwark

See page 10 of this - the Shoom club reputedly invented the smiley yellow face acid house logo: http://www.dnfa.com/catalogues/13077.pdf

If you fish around on YouTube for "Clink Street" you can find some old grainy footage of ravers causing chaos outside the Clink Street prison from about 1988 - amazing that it's all Starbucks and Nando's round there these days...

I'm not going to claim any of the credit for any of this, as the whole scene was a little bit before my time... just interesting (and slightly different) local history, that's all.
Sunday 10 October 2010 11.01pm
Wow what a nostalgia trip! Even the monthly trip up to Manchester for Flesh!

AndyABC wrote:
it's a bit difficult to argue against clubbing in SE1 given that this is more-or-less where modern club culture first started in the UK (Southwark St and Clink St in particular).
In fact, this reminds me a bit of the time that a colleague who had just moved to St Johns Wood complained to me with a straight face that the crowds at the cricket at Lord's were ruining the neighbourhood!

It would be different though if sites for new residential buildings are chosen because they won't be disturbed by clubs and then a club appears. Not that I'm aware of an example of this. Jacks has been there for ages, and Whirl-y-gig is there, so drugged up new-agey types have been around there for years. The real issue is whether crime/anti-social behaviour is involved. Belushis on Borough High Street isn't even a proper club and the amount of violence pouring onto the street from the place is shocking.

I'm a bit suspicious of Cable. NagNagNag considered moving there, rather than ending (when their venue was removed) and Cable were, shall we say unenthusiastic. So they're happy to have class A drug crowds dancing-not-drinking at the weekend but not have a mid-week boozy crowd with regulars like Bjork and Kate Moss? Strange business that's all I can say.
Monday 11 October 2010 8.32am
beetroot wrote:

I'm a bit suspicious of Cable. NagNagNag considered moving there, rather than ending (when their venue was removed) and Cable were, shall we say unenthusiastic. So they're happy to have class A drug crowds dancing-not-drinking at the weekend but not have a mid-week boozy crowd with regulars like Bjork and Kate Moss? Strange business that's all I can say.

This is interesting - I have wondered for some time how Cable manages to keep going with so few events on each week... You would have thought they would be trying to pack the club out every night, but clearly they are *above* that in some way...

At least Cable is tucked away under a long railway arch. I am actually quite surprised that the new venue at Ewer Street, near Union Street, is allowed to hold events - when I walked past it appeared to be right opposite a residential area!
Monday 11 October 2010 11.23am
WHat? I think its great. Why not have this? We live in zone 1 in one of the most exciting cities in the world.

I would have thought if you are called boomshake this would be your bag, boomshake.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: