Newington Gardens (Harper Rd) - safety

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 October 2010 9.23am
I have been alerted by my friends who play bike polo every Wednesday in Newington Gardens that the council have turned off the lights to the playing courts permanently due to ‘safety issues'.

Safety issues. Are you kidding me! I walk through that park each evening and now winter is approaching, the thought of walking through in the dark fills me with fear.

Surely the lights are not just good for people playing on the courts, but also encourage use of the rest of the park through winter.

I'd love to know how much the council spent on this facility and I know they improved the rest of the park only last year. What a waste!
Wednesday 13 October 2010 9.30am
OK, so who do you need to lobby to get this changed?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 14 October 2010 1.07pm
Hi Jacs,

I am one of your local councillors. I am trying to find out what is going on. It may take a few days but I will let you know when I do. If you have any more info, can you email me at claire.hickson@southwark.gov.uk?

Claire
Thursday 14 October 2010 7.18pm
i live just off this park there is 5 ways out and it is very unsafe looks like its a long walk round for us as i wont be using it after dark ;0(
Thursday 14 October 2010 9.37pm
Thanks Claire.

I'll ask my friend to drop you an email.

Jacs
Friday 15 October 2010 12.14pm
Hi Nickyd and Jacs,

My name is David Churchill and I'm a journalist from News Associates. This sounds quite dangerous to have these lights switched off like this and I'd be very interested to find out the reasons behind this, so I will also be contacting Claire Hickson.

But I was also wondering if perhaps you could both let me know your contact details so I can get in touch with you and find out more information about this matter and how it has affected you, and ask any friends who have also been affected to get in touch. It could make a great story.

I would really appreciate it if you could both contact me on david.churchill85@googlemail.com

Kind Regards,
David Churchill

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: