Computer software back up

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 October 2010 1.41pm
Would any one know of an individual or company that could help with computer software, setting up of systmes and back up if things crash?
Tuesday 19 October 2010 5.32pm
Hi J N

Backing up your important docs and pictures is a good idea - backing up your whole hard drive as an "image" is way smarter.

That way, if your main hard drive fails - you can simply buy a new one (really cheap these days), plug it in, and recreate the entire contents of the old drive (including the operating system, all docs, every picture, every application and even every single setting and tweak you had on your old drive) from the "image" file.

Is this hard to do? - nope.

You will need...

1) A new hard drive installed on your PC for the backup (or old one if you have a spare).
2) A copy of this software or equivalent.

That's it - do a backup once a week (I do).

My PC died about a year ago - and I simply restored my main drive from the "image" on my back-up drive and it was as though nothing had happened.
Wednesday 20 October 2010 12.54pm
Hi Boss,

Thanks for the reply; I do have a hard drive that I back things up on as I did have the same problem as you.

However what I am looking for is someone who can set up systems and knows about software. I have a studio in Weston Street and looking to expand so putting in another computer, one just for work and one for bookings etc, to have the music running of the booking computer and have everything wireless. So a small company or freelancer that can help out.

As I really don't know how to and don't have to time to deal with this, ask me how to rehabilitate a knee, loss weight or get ready for ski-in I am your gal! But computers............no!
Saturday 23 October 2010 4.08pm
Hi again JN

The place I currently contract at is small - (9 IT folks near Tower Bridge) and they recently decided to use a local IT support company, after researching what was available.

The IT support folks do a good job, and seem to target smaller firms. Their website is here.

I don't work for them and have no commercial interests in them at all - but have spoken to them on the phone when I had PC probs and have seen them perform in the office. I would recommend them.
Saturday 23 October 2010 4.44pm
PC Doctor London

They charge only 60 pounds and it's a flat(not hourly) rate. Pretty good!
Sunday 24 October 2010 12.14pm
Thanks Yuha, I used somebody like this a littlw while ago and really was not happy with the service which is why I wanted a local indpendent. But many thanks for the response I appreciate your time.
Monday 25 October 2010 10.03am
It would be interesting to hear how you get on and who you used, if that's OK with you.

Good luck.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 October 2010 11.32am
I know someone who has worked in large companies and now looking for freelance work. Have used him for my personal IT problems and he's very good.
If you'd like to get in touch with him for a chat, I can pass your contact details on.

K
Tuesday 26 October 2010 11.09pm
You might want to check this out for offsite backup.

http://www.livedrive.com/

Its easy to set up and will handle multiple PC's. Backup is realtime in the background. If you want to back up shares (looks like you dont at the moment) then you will need to buy into the 'Briefcase' features.

You can do 'bare metal' backups with 'Clonezilla' http://clonezilla.org/ and a large external drive. Its free to download and allows you to completely restore everything from total drive failure to a new drive. Since you seem to use only PCs (no servers or NAS) this might be a good solution in addition to livedrive.

Onsite and offsite backup is recommended.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: