Corner of Roupell and Theed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
La Martinet Wednesday 20 October 2010 4.01pm
Everytime I walk past (usually early evening), there is the most astonishingly busy bird noise going on. Sounds like a hundred little chirpy finches or somesuch. It's lovely.

Does anyone know if someone has an aviary in their garden?
theedy Wednesday 20 October 2010 6.41pm
Extraordinary isn't it. I walk past every morning too. I think it is just sparrows in the overgrown bush, it would drive me mad if it was outside my window.
Mushtimushta Sunday 24 October 2010 6.57am
The noise is indeed one of the remaining preferred habitats of London's dwindling sparrow population. They congregate in that hedge and during the summer months, also in the one that overhangs the wall of the EF Language School round the corner in Roupell Street (which is now bare of leaves for the winter).
I am eternally grateful to the owner of that hedge, because I really get a boost from the sparrow noise every time I walk past.
Jan the old one Sunday 24 October 2010 10.27am
We used to have loads of sparrows in our garden, now we don't see one. There has been an influx of cats recently and unfortunately cats kill so efficiently.

I love to hear birdsong, of any sort....

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions