3G in Shad Thames - Help me pick - tried O2 which was meh... Any recommendations?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 20 October 2010 11.07pm
Hi,

I've just ordered an iPad with 3G to replace my WiFi-only one, and need to work out which network provides the best coverage in Shad Thames.

I've tried looking at coverage maps, but I'm not quite sure whether they give an accurate picture. (i.e. I did the same thing before buying my iPhone on O2, and on paper it looked like the reception would be good, but as anyone else on O2 in Shad Thames knows, reception is patchy at best).

So, how about Orange, Three or Vodafone? Does anyone have any experience with their 3G coverage in Shad Thames (and/or in general, around London). I'd really appreciate any input, even if you haven't used 3G in Shad Thames, as of course I'll be using whichever network I go with across London.

Thanks for reading :)

Peregrine
Thursday 21 October 2010 9.06am
I got an iPhone a few months ago on Three and the reception in SE1 in general seems good. I usually get four or five bars of 3G reception in my flat in Bermondsey (five being max), and more consistently five bars when I'm outside. I know O2 3G can be patchy at best around London. From the Ofcom reports I was looking at before I got my iPhone, Three and Orange had by far the best coverage.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Thursday 21 October 2010 9.16am
Orange coverage is even greater now because they've joined up with t-mobile to share signal.
https://kareena.orange.co.uk/share/
Thursday 21 October 2010 10.14am
http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Good site for info on mobile phone masts and local coverage...just type in the postcode
Thursday 21 October 2010 1.23pm
I had signal problems when moving from Three to an iPhone network last year. Three mobile had great coverage, but didn't offer iPhones at the time. I tried O2, but had to send it back and cancel it due no signal in my flat. I got a vodaphone and orange sim to test the other providers signals. Although poor comapred to Three, I ended up on Vodafone.

It's going to dramatically vary depending on where you are located. My best advise would be to get hold of some phones/sims for the different networks and to try them out in you flat/at work.
Thursday 21 October 2010 11.13pm
Thanks very much for your replies bernard_shakey, beetroot, urbanite and Mutton! Much appreciated.

I can see I'll have to do some more research (was secretly hoping for replies a'la "Phone company x is brilliant, get that one!!!"). But thanks very much for the input, I have something to go on now. I'll post again when I've tested out the networks, and got it up and running.

Thanks again

Peregrine
Friday 22 October 2010 8.41am
I work in Shad Thames, Orange is great. My personal phone is O2 and that is crap, previously I was on three and that wasn't fantastic either. This is specifically the shad thames area I am talking about.
Friday 22 October 2010 6.53pm
I get perfectly good 3G reception in Shad Thames on T-mobile. I'd expect it to be even better now with access to Orange's transmitters too.
Saturday 23 October 2010 7.36pm
move in continental Europe where technology is not from the 80's as here.
Sunday 24 October 2010 4.15pm
Hi again,

Thanks very much for all the input, very useful for me.

I've decided to try Orange for now, just waiting for the SIM to arrive, so I can test it out.

Thanks again
Peregrine
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: