12 street lights not working on 2 minute walk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 October 2010 2.25pm
Has anyone noticed how dark and badly lit the new area is around bermondsey spa? There are 12 broken/not working street lamps between bermondsey tube and the end of old jamaica road - only a short 1 minute walk and I had to walk home in almost pitch black darkenss. I am sure I am not alone in feeling really unsafe in this.

Southwark council have not responded to my emails. Anyone got any other ideas about waht to do?

They havent been working for months.....very annoyed
Thursday 21 October 2010 3.37pm
Have you tried contacting the Street Leaders Dept ?
Thursday 21 October 2010 4.10pm
Many councils are removing bulbs from half of the street lamps to save electricity... maybe that's what they've done
Thursday 21 October 2010 4.26pm
Around this time last year I reported the street lights being out in the pathway that runs alongside the church yard from Jamaica Road to the top of the new Bermondsey Spa development. After a few emails I finally got a response but nothing was ever fixed, and to this day it's still a pretty badly lit area.

I remember I lived in Wandsworth a few years back and reported a light out on the Common which was fixed in less than 24 hours. Pah.
Friday 22 October 2010 8.34am
HI bernard - i found your original post on this. I got a response yesterday literally within ten minutes f my posting. Will update you all on what happens. It is appalling and unsafe for women walking on their own:

Thank you for your email concerning the lighting in Old Jamaica Road.

The lighting in Old Jamaica Road, Thurland Road, Ness Street, Rouel Road, Frean Street and Sun Passage have all recently been replaced as part of an ongoing lighting improvement works in Southwark. As part of these works a complete new lighting system have been installed in Old Jamaica Road, as part of these works we require EDF to connect the new lamp columns to the main electricity supply, and disconnect the old ones.

I am aware that 3 of the new lights have not yet been connected by EDF due to them have some problems with there mains electricity cable and I am working with EDF to get these last few columns connected, I am very alarmed that you are reporting that there are 12 columns not working and I will carry out a survey of the area this evening to in investigate this matter, and update you with what I find & what steps have been taken to rectify any faults tomorrow.

I assure that the safety and security of our residents is our main priority and I am treating this matter as a priority.
Friday 22 October 2010 3.54pm
Julia - sounds promising, fingers crossed then. I'm sure the new lights have been fitted for well over six months now but still show no signs of being turned on!
Friday 22 October 2010 4.06pm
Hi - plse see the below, reading bottom up. If it doesnt improve I am going to make one hell of a sh*t storm for EDF; I swear to god and I will need all of your help!!!

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for doing this.

Can I have the man's name who is responsible at EDF Energy? I want to write to him myself and flag him out to other residents…to ensure as much as anything he keeps to his word, which by the sounds of things he has a problem doing. Funny that EDF Energy spend all their customers money splurging on sponsoring the Olympics but leave the surrounding area in disarray and the residents at risk. Not a particularly wise PR exercise.

I just hope nothing bad happens to anyone whilst they are walking around the area. I feel totally unsafe and have lived in London over 10 years and not felt this way. I have also found out that another local resident complained about the same issue over a year ago and he said he got no response.

Thanks
Julia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Julia

I visited Old Jamaica Road last night and carried out a survey of the area, and I did find a number of the new lamp column not working and the old concrete columns still in place.

When a new lighting scheme is installed EDF are instructed not to disconnect any of the old lamp columns until the new units have been connected and are fully functioning so that the road is not left with dark patches, on this occasion this has not happened and for this I can only offer my sincere apologies.

I have been in contact with EDF's Highway Connections Area Manager today and expressed not only my dissatisfaction with the manner in which this job has been carried out but also the speed in rectifying the issues.

He has given me his assurances that the outstanding works will be completed with in the next few weeks, unfortunately due to the nature of the required work there is no way that these works can be completed sooner then this.

We are also in the process of obtaining a parking bay suspensions to enable us to remove the old concrete column with out causing any damage to people vehicles.

One I have confirmation of a program date from EDF I will update you.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate in contacting me.
Monday 25 October 2010 12.28pm
FYI -

Dear Julia

I hope you had a pleasant weekend.

The name and address of the person you will need to send any correspondence to is:

Jason Webb
Highway Connections Area Manager
EDF Energy
Networks Branch
Centenary House
161 Bidder Street
West Ham
E16 4ET

As for the other person that sent in a complaint I can only apologies if they never received a reply as we do aim to reply to all correspondence within 10 days.

The only thing I would add is that a year ago the lighting had not been installed as these work commenced in the new year, if you have any further questions please do not hesiate in contacting.

Once I have a confirmed program date from EDF I will be sure to update you.

Kind Regards

Daniel Robinson

Senior Lighting Engineer
Asset Management Business Unit
Copeland Road Depot
Blackpool Road
London
SE15 3SN
Friday 5 November 2010 3.10pm
In happy news; all of the street lamps are now lit and working bar 2! HOoray southwark council in particular Daniel.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: