Virtual Communities - Real Photographs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 April 2004 7.23pm
Hello all.

There have been some great threads recently, discussing smells of yesteryear, pubs that no longer exist, virtual Porters and Jukeboxes.

In my minds eye I have been viewing so many of the communities, and it is only now that I know where Trocette Mansions are, (been walking past it for years).

As a photographer, strictly for fun, I make the following offer.

Vote here for the Part of SE1 you want Photographed, and in the next week or two I will do my best, to shoot the most popular or the most unusual suggestion.

It can be anything (can you spot the man trying to find inspiration), the new work of art "the couple" at More London, the Beigal shop, or whatever comes to mind, although I may have to ban the forthcoming wedding of Lmjj and Maurits, because "Hello" will not let me through the door.
Friday 9 April 2004 10.12pm
Concorde going down the Thames on Easter Monday sounds like the unique event of the forthcoming week. And I might be away and miss it, so any photos gratefully received.
Saturday 10 April 2004 5.15pm
Yeah concorde sounds good but I think that for most of the journey you will not actually be able to see the plane.

According to a website I found (sorry, can`t remember the addy) it will be covered from view apart form being revealed outside the houses of parliament for 1 hour.

I also believe it has been put back another day until tuesday, sometime between 4:30 and 6pm.

For purely selfish reasons Bill, I think Shad thames and the riverarea would make a great photographic subject. (i live there)

But my vote has to go to Borough Market, for the diversirty and vibrance, also I adore the tiny little pineapples perched atop the new facade pinched from the old covennt garden market!

Sunday 11 April 2004 10.04am
Come to the Archbishops Open Day (17 April) and take some photos. Though small scale and not every exciting it is a chance to see the family/community side of SE1. (Bouncy castle, footie tournament etc)

Our camera is broken and we need a supply of pictures for future publicity and funding bids, so would really welcome someone coming along to take some piccies. Plus you get an interesting juxtaposition between an ordinary Victorian Park with families in, which could be anywhere, and a backdrop which includes Parliament, Lambeth Palace and the London Eye.

If not Bill, could anyone else take photos?
Sunday 11 April 2004 10.51am
Hi Sarah,

I would love to come along and take some shots for you, I will make sure I am available.

I am involved in a few South East london Charities, so if you can email me any posters or literature you have already put together I will put them on our Notice Boards. (sorry should have thought of that earlier).

Jo is also right, the opportunity to photograph Concord will be limited to a short period near the Houses of Parliament, and I am sure will be more than adequately covered by the press.

I must admit I like the suggestion of the Pineapples, as this ties up with those on the south side of Lambeth Bridge, and are a gesture of Goodwill and Welcome.

Keep the ideas coming.

Post edited (11 Apr 04 13:45)
Monday 12 April 2004 1.40pm
Could you take a picture of a closed pub, The Archduke Charles, off the New Kent Road. The Crown and Anchor is on the corner where the NKroad bends before the Elephant. The Archduke, as dead as a dead pub, has a wonderful 'What's on' sigh on an outside wall. Might make a nice (albeit gloomy) picture.
Monday 12 April 2004 3.22pm

Thanks. It starts at one. There is a marquee and I will be organising the easter egg hunt. Just ask for me. (Same goes for anyone else who read this - it would be nice to meet a lurker or two, a cider drinker, Deidre, or one of the two James'.)

A sleepless night last night reminded me of one of the odder SE1 sights. The ADI in Lambeth road is used as a venue for West African funerals - which go on till 3.00am. Whole communites, kids playing in the street, folk in traditional dress hanging out. Due to lack of sleep I'm not feeling particularly well-disposed, but others might think it is colourful.
Tuesday 13 April 2004 9.48am
Hi Bill - what a wonderful idea.
How about some of the industrial areas around the railway lines and arches along the line running into Waterloo East?
Thursday 15 April 2004 6.18am
Bill- is the cardinals passage still there? off bankside...
The Statue in Trinity street---supposedly king alfred, typical bloke 'e wos....his missis asks im to watch the cooking and 'e fell asleep!
The beautiful weird green building in blackfriars road near the railway bridge.
The lovely little courtyards in Grange Walk.

plus the very old doors with original wood and high steps in grange walk..just a few ideas...

Theres also a wonderful tiny pub just off marshalsea road, in tiny turning just before southwarth bridge road, right hand side ( sorry having a senior moment cant remember the name!)

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Thursday 15 April 2004 7.59am
sounds like the Lord Clyde to me

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: