Whats it like? Dover Flats, Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 November 2010 6.14pm
Hi I'm new to london, and have seen a nice flat in the Dover Flats complex/building.

Just wondering what the areas like?
Am I going to be accosted by crack fiends at 9 in the morning?
Seem to be getting a mixed message when I google 'is old kent road safe'.
Anyone live in Dover Flats and can say what its like?
Are the neighbours/folk living in the surrounding buildings nice?

Thanks,
Mr Man
Tuesday 2 November 2010 7.35am
Mr. Man, I live in Metro Central (On the corner of OKR and the Elephant). NO we are not all axe murderers I assure you! This is a really cool area to live and we are a mixed bunch of all sorts of professions and ages. Dont hesitate if the flat you've seen is nice and it's good for your work place. We are commited Se1-ers, wouldnt live anywhere else.
Tuesday 2 November 2010 10.27am
Cool, it seems nice and its the only place I've seen that reminds of Glasgow.
Already paid the deposit, just got cold feet when people starting going "ooo, Old Kent Road - thats a bit 'exciting'".
Tuesday 2 November 2010 1.20pm
Hi Mr Man,

I don't live in Dover Flats, or know anyone who does. But I live quite near, am a middle-aged female and I shop quite happily in the OKR. Never been accosted by a crack fiend. (Though it might be different if I were wandering about in the small hours.)

As Jackie says it's a mixed area, which for lots of us is what makes it so enjoyable.

I only moved here a few years ago, I've found people really friendly and I wouldn't live anywhere else. Hope you have a stress-free move and a great time when you get here.
Tuesday 2 November 2010 10.20pm
Hi Mr Man,

Welcome to the area.

I've lived across the road from Dover for over 4 years in Augustus Court, the new block of flats beside Lidl. Moved to the big smoke from Aberdeen 13 years ago and lived all over London in that time and this is the nicest, most central part of London I've lived in. Lovong it. I've made friends with my neighbours (didn't even know them in most other parts of London) and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think you may have landed on your feet if you're new to London.

I don't care if some people get snooty about the Old Kent Road, we're deceptively central, connectivity is amazing with all the buses and tube nearby and I've never had any safety issues night or day. My old mum has been down to visit a few times from Stornoway and she was quite happy pottering down to Tesco and wandering around the area while I was at work. A colleague used to call the Old Kent Road 'murder mile' but he was just in denial that he bought his flat in Harlesden and I have noticed that if anything happens anywhere remotely near the Old Kent Road it gets reported as an Old Kent Road incident which is a bit unfair.

Hope you enjoy living here.
Wednesday 3 November 2010 4.27pm
I live just behind Dover Flat, have done for over 10 years now. Its a great place to live.
Wednesday 3 November 2010 4.49pm
Cheers, reassuring to know.
Only other place I've lived in London is a hostel in Kenninton, which is pretty grim.
My main reason for picking the area was the lovely flat and teh 20 minute walk to work.
Happy days, and I'm glad I've found this forum, its a friendly place.
Wednesday 3 November 2010 4.53pm
Jackie... MCH is on the corner of Newington Causeway and NEW Kent Road...
Wednesday 3 November 2010 6.34pm
Welcome to SE1! I live just off the Old Kent Road on Pages Walk. This is a great place to live, everywhere is literally 10 mins away! Good luck with the move

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: