"Council admits failure in Elephant & Castle"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 5 November 2010 12.08pm
"Council admits failure in Elephant & Castle"

"Heygate residents have lost out to a series of cancellations and delays. A flagship housing scheme intended to transform the lives of some of London's most deprived families by tapping into the skills of up-and-coming architects has 'failed' in its key objective, it was claimed this week."

Top story on Southwark Notes: http://southwarknotes.wordpress.com/
Friday 5 November 2010 1.11pm
Well, nice that the Council admits to its c*ck up, but it can do so because now it's a Labour council and they can blame it on the Lib Dems.
Friday 5 November 2010 1.23pm
Sure it failed...we all know that...but the real question should be were those responsible at the time negligent? I think there are enough cristicisms of SC on here, especially the Planning Dept, to ask this as a legitimate question.
Saturday 6 November 2010 6.57pm
urbanite wrote:
Sure it failed...we all know that...but the real question should be were those responsible at the time negligent? I think there are enough criticisms of SC on here, especially the Planning Dept, to ask this as a legitimate question.

'Negligent' would be a very polite way of putting it. I can't help thinking that the decant of Heygate and the failure to provide homes for the tenants to return too was a deliberate policy choice. How can you promise long-standing council tenants a new home in the area, put into effect one the biggest decants the Council has ever known and then have only one site (Wansey St) for 12 tenants built by the time the majority had been moved out? They already had the experience of a decant process from Wood Dene and Elmington sites years before. Why weren't the 16 other decant new builds built? Why only now are some of the developments being built? How many Heygate tenants will be returning to the area they had demanded for years the right to be able to return too? This is more than negligence. Words fail me how to describe it.
Saturday 6 November 2010 8.34pm
Sounds like a bit of cleansing.
Sunday 7 November 2010 11.06am
Sounds like a type of fraud...the council knew how many properties there were to re-house...it's not like there had been a terrible fire and entire blocks needed re-housing urgently and thus they would be caught out..
Monday 8 November 2010 11.23am
Not to forget that the local residents (inside and surrounding the Heygate) highlighted those concerns when the first consultations were held by the council, many many years ago. I was present then. Even then the council dismissed our anxiety and told us “they are knowing what they are doing” and “have only our interests at heart” and treated us as trouble makers and “against progress”.

And now council representatives are personally sulking when Southwark residents don't trust them to deliver workable and sustainable solutions for us (for example plans for changes to Bankside). They always forget that a) we live here and know the area (opposite to most of them) and b) pay their salaries with our council tax and want to be respectfully listened to.
Monday 8 November 2010 11.34am
This is not only a local, but in my view, a National scandal. The rank disregard for the life of decent people who have been summarily dispossessed is nothing short of criminal. I agree with Merlin Rouge and feel this should be VERY publicly shouted about in the national press. Am having dinner with an ex councillor tomorrow and will talk this over.
Monday 8 November 2010 4.14pm
Jackie you are quite correct...this is a scandal and really should be somewhat more than a local news site castigation...in my eyes there should be a serious review into whether officers of the council knowingly undermined the whole project with unrealistic demands on potentail developers and project sharers...and whether this was so unrealistic as to be fraudulent. That might sound rather grand but think about it...we had 10 years of an absoloutley sizzling property market during which the council sat on property assets which it could have injected into the scheme for a realistic outcome but instead pushed constantly for so much (even during these "good times") that no-one could match their demands. Now that the market has cooled somewhat this is being used as the excuse why the regeneration hasn't happened but the real question is why didn't it happen during the prior years....it's definatley a scandal.
Monday 8 November 2010 6.11pm
Why are we talking in the past tense as if it's all over?
There are still people living on the Heygate facing dispossession, I am one of them!
I am still here because I am a leaseholder and I can't afford to buy another home with the paltry offer the council have made for my home. The council has flouted statutory compulsory purchase law in all its dealings with leaseholders(see http://halag.wordpress.com).
Last year we were courted by Labour councillors who accused the The Lib Dem/Tory coalition of"strong-arming and intimidating tenants and leaseholders out of their homes on the Heygate"
Since we voted them in, Labour councillors have done nothing but accelerate the programme of intimidation and dispossession. The district heating system has been shut down, and the twenty remaining families on the Heygate are going into winter with no heating, no estate lighting, no postal delivery, no waste collection, no security, nowhere else to go...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: