Pedestrian Crossing - Abbey Street / Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Saturday 6 November 2010 1.03pm
I'm usually reluctant to answer my door to to randoms, but I just had a Lib Dem chap round collecting signatures for the installation of a pedestrian crossing at the cross road at long lane, abbey st and tower bridge road. It's a very nasty junction to cross, with people often running the read lights and not indicating, so I think its a very worthwhile cause.

They need a thousand signatures before it can be submitted for consideration. I should have asked if it is possible for people to sign up online, but if you get a knock at your door, it might be worth 30 seconds to sign up.
Saturday 6 November 2010 1.40pm
The intersection of Southwark Bridge Road/Borough Rd is also problematic. There is a traffic light only going one way, and no pedestrian signal. So if you cross from one side of Southwark Bridge Road to the other, you have to guess and run.

Is that a possibility to investigate?
Saturday 6 November 2010 1.49pm
It's about time they put in a proper crossing there (Abbey Street / Tower Bridge Road)!
There is a painted section on the road but no gap inbetween the lights for pedestrians to cross.
The main problem is that as one light goes to red those drivers speed up to make it through but then the other direction drivers antisipate their green light and go early leaving no chance to sprint across and more chance of an accident between the vehicles. There also seems to be a need for a seperate light for the traffic turning across the road into Abbey Street without hitting the traffic going straight across.
I use the traffic island but even that doesn't feel very safe. I don't know how Mothers with Buggies or old folk manage!
Saturday 6 November 2010 2.06pm
I don;t know if it is still like this, but the traffic island on the north side had previously been struck by a car and taken out the bollards. The pavements are a mess too, with big holes in them, and the kerbs all at odd angles.
Saturday 6 November 2010 3.20pm
You can sign the petition online but you have to register for the Southwark Lib Dems website:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 6 November 2010 4.31pm
I've just noticed that the thread title (and the text of the Lib Dem petition) has fallen into the trap of thinking that the section of street which divides St Mary Magdalen churchyard from Bermondsey Square is part of Long Lane.

It's not - Abbey Street's western end (and Long Lane's eastern end) is at the Bermondsey Street crossroads.

This is shown wrongly on Google Maps, so you can always tell which local businesses have copied their own sketch maps off Google Maps because they invariably get this wrong.

I reported this error to Google's mapping provider Tele Atlas in April.

Their online tracking tool now says: "We have determined that your report remains a problem in the 2010.09 release of Tele Atlas Map data. We are in the process of examining your report and determining the best way to address the problem."

Saturday 6 November 2010 4.49pm
You're quite right.

I've lived just two minutes walk from there for over a year and always thought it was Long Lane.
Saturday 6 November 2010 5.06pm
Also, as an example of how dangerous the traffic island is, here is a photo of it sporting a traffic light on the northern end, and here is a later photo taken from the other side, where somebody appear to have driven into the pole, cracked up the traffic island, and caused the light to be removed. Oops.
Tuesday 16 November 2010 1.15am
What a shame more people haven't signed the petition. I wonder if they are still going round the local area for signatures.
Tuesday 21 December 2010 12.48pm

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: