Bermondsey Spa regeneration area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 15 April 2004 10.15am
Did you notice the 2 page feature on the Bermondsey Spa regeneration area in last night's Homes & Properties supplement of the Standard? (No link to it yet on their website.)

Apparently there are 20 [21 according to the noticeboard outside the park on Spa Road] separate development areas that are going to be turned into (presumably) yuppie flats and 10 have started already. That explains why, each time I go down Spa Road, there is another redundant building that has been flattened.

Hurrah. Perhaps they'll knock down those lousy council houses that depress the value of our yuppy homes [ducks & runs for cover, TFIC]. More seriously, I rather like the gritty (sic - in ES) feel of Grange Road, I do hope that it doesn't change too much.

[edited to try to get the numbers right!]

Post edited (15 Apr 04 15:40)

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.52pm
The piece is now on the Standard website:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/homes/news/articles/10262706

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.17pm
I see Southwark council have several pages on this topic.

http://tinyurl.com/2j6ug
Jon
Friday 16 April 2004 9.42am
it all sounds very good for the area!
rm
Friday 16 April 2004 9.51am
yes, in thoery. i chose not to live in areas like camden and clerkenwell for a reason though.
Friday 16 April 2004 10.19am
Not sure how keen I am on living in a building site for the next xx years. Great at the end, if you wanted to live in Camden from the start...
Friday 16 April 2004 10.22am
I'm confused (not an unusual state for me) is the 35 million the money the council is putting in?

Show a man how to make fire and he will be warm for hours, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Friday 16 April 2004 8.21pm
As I understand it, Local Authorities aren't allowed to build housing themselves. They are forced, by national legislation, to deliver housing via third parties such as developers and housing associations.

Historically, local authorities have been landowners and, where a local authority owns larger amounts of land, it can, by seeking partnerships with developers and housing associations, use its land ownership as a lever to achieve broader objectives. By this I mean that a local authority may own land in areas where land is in short supply.

The Evening Standard article mentions the sum of 35million but I doubt that a local authority would be in a position to invest that sort of money in cash. Therefore I assume the ES article must refer to the value of proposed developments.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Sunday 18 April 2004 2.24am
A good deal of the housing will be "affordable"* (as much as a third in some developments), with another large proportion being reserved for key workers - in some of the developments, only a third of the properties will not fall into these two categories.

Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that there will be social housing, too. There are also going to be 8 new doctors' surgeries and a school.

So, it's hardly a yuppy development.

*I hate the term "affordable housing" - after all, a million pounds is affordable to some people. Why don't they just say cheap?

Editing this to say I'm getting really funny google ads on this thread - the first one says "Gay flatmates wanted - advertise yourself for 50c"! I wonder what the relevance is? Mapmaker - are you well-known on the Aussie gay scene?

Post edited (18 Apr 04 03:34)
Monday 19 April 2004 8.58am
Doubt Southwark are putting in 35m - seems far too generous! But then I cannot believe that 20 large sites with hundreds of homes can be built for 35m either - when there's 1m going into a garden.

'spearheading a 35 million regeneration of the area, which involves building 2,000 new homes, retail and community facilities, as well as commercial space for small businesses. Twenty development sites have been earmarked, 13 of which are already under way.'

Perhaps 35m is the value of the land, which Southwark claims to be 'ploughing' back into the area following sale of the land.

Inspired by this article, I had a bit of a poke around the 'Spa' area yesterday. I see there are a couple of pikeys living in caravans at the South end of the Spa Park (actually in SE16, sorry); with luck they're just builders.

And a 3 bed Queen Anne house on Grange Walk for sale for a cool 595k, and far more stripped pine than is entirely tasteful! (Daniel Cobb)

TLMJJ - must you post such nonsense at 3am... what do you mean by a google ad?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: