Anyone for chess?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Thursday 15 April 2004 12.48pm
i've lived here for two and a half years (economic refugee from north london) and have yet to find any chessplayers in the local pubs or cafes. is there anyone out there
Jon
Thursday 15 April 2004 1.54pm
how good do we need to be?

I'd put myself at lower intermediate/good beginer.

I prefer backgammon myself.
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.01pm
I'm only rubbish. I used to play for the school. Other parts of town seem to have groups of players (Holland park and Clissold park) but bermondsey/borough seems bereft.
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.20pm

me - i want to play and i am crap in the summer we could sit out in the sun

sounds great, i alway wanted to learn to play well (note i am assuming here that if i play a lot i will get better - by no means a sure bet...)
Jon
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.26pm
you'll get better if you play someone better than yourself, otherwise they get better.
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.34pm
hmm, what would be the best pub to play in? although perhaps it isn't exactly like pool where you get more skillful as the night (and the beers) roll on...

we need a caff where they will let us sit for hours on a couple of coffees.
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.50pm
Perhaps the benches in park on Bermondsey Street, cans of fighting lager optional.
Thursday 15 April 2004 5.01pm

sounds ok - we can use the empties for pawns.
Friday 16 April 2004 8.13am
I cannot play chess at all, but I love Backgammon. I'd certainly take part in some vaguely-organised games - sorry, I don't fancy just meeting people I don't know in the park!
Monday 19 April 2004 9.24am
I have regular Tues nights bridge playing in the Oak. Cheap beer and cheap food. Have to be nippy to get a table sometimes, but otherwise I'd suggest that (although not Tuesdays, because we're in there trying to get any spare tables).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: