The World Turned Upside Down

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 10 November 2010 1.23pm
I've noticed the World Turned Upside Down on the Old Kent Road is being gutted. It's a big property. Anyone know what it's going to be? I asked the builders but they couldn't speak English... naturally...
Wednesday 10 November 2010 2.29pm
In the summer there was an application to turn it into a branch of Domino's Pizza but it was refused by the council.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 4.22pm
Thanks for that site pops, nice for snooping! :)

Looks like Domino's applied again and it was granted on the 14/10

So we're getting an enormous Donimo's Pizza joint. Just what the world needs.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 5.00pm
The link pops posted doesn't work for me so I'm not sure which application she has linked to.

They were granted advertisement consent for the new signage but the change of use was declined in the summer.

There was another, more recent, change of use application but I can't find that one now.

I've been tracking the various applications with a view to writing a news story but never quite got round to it.

Looks like the reasons for refusal of the first application were relatively minor (about noise from scooters and ventilation), so they probably feel confident that they'll get permission for the substantive change of use this time round if they address those issues.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 7.59pm
What a shame. Although it's been closed for a while now, I guess this is really the last real Old Kent Road pub and it will soon be gone.
Wednesday 10 November 2010 8.25pm
You've summed it up in one, Gavin.
I moved away from the Old Kent Road in September 1969.
I'd spent my formative teenage years there, and when I left it was still a thriving comunity with more pubs than you could shake a stick at. all of which did a roaring trade. I've undertaken several sentimental journeys over the years, (not to be reccommended...keep your memories,) and each time I returned, another pub had bitten the dust. I'm sure, like you, that 'The world Turned Upside down' is now the last of the many. The very end of a long, long era.
God rest its soul.
Thursday 11 November 2010 10.41am
James Hatts wrote:
The link pops posted doesn't work for me so I'm not sure which application she has linked to.

The link I posted was all planning applications relating to that site.
Thursday 11 November 2010 11.38am
here is the latest appplication which names Dominos.

http://tinyurl.com/2uw2s96

Pops for some reason that website won't allow hotlinking
for the page with all four applications on it.Tried it myself and it wouldn't load.
Thursday 11 November 2010 1.05pm
If you go to the Southwark Planning web site and search for 145 Old Kent Road, it will show you the history of applications that have been applied for. I thought the link would of taken you there. Sorry. :o(
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: