Meson don Felipe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.21pm
I have read with wonder the rather luke warm comments about Meson don Felipe.

My former boss introduced me to the delights of this crowded, friendly and atmospheric little tapas bar about 3 years ago and it has to rank among my favourite eateries in London.

The wine is good. The food is fabulous - I've never had a bad meal (except when my companions chose anchovies, chorizo and broad beans, but that was not the fault of the chef!). The atmosphere is fun and friendly and you always see someone you know.

I finally convinced my boyfriend to go with me a couple of months ago and every time we go out, or arrange to meet friends, Meson don Felipe is always his first suggestion.

If you're too posh to enjoy the cramped tables and noise - fine, stay away - we'll have your table!
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.37pm
where is it?
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.41pm
On The Cut, opposite The Young Vic - 100 yds ish from Southwark Station
Thursday 15 April 2004 2.44pm
I love it there, but haven't been for a whiledoes it still have a flamenco man on a shelf?
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.00pm
mmmmmmmmm yes - if he's there, we try and stay as close to the door as possible - he's great - his amp is the only downside to the restaurant!
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.18pm

it is fun - but like your friend we have had bad dishes there as well as good. i would call the food a bit hit-and-miss rather than 'fabulous'.

and the charms of his guitar are fine the first three or four visits (gets a bit tired though).

i guess you are using my table then... enjoy!
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.25pm
What were the lukewarm comments ?

I only ask because it was someone raving about Meson don Felipe on this board that introduced me to it in the first place.

I've always found the food to be good and enjoy the atmosphere - but it's certainly not first on my list for a quiet (or private) evening !

Thursday 15 April 2004 4.28pm
I love m.d.f. too - and the flamenco man on the shelf is always great - if a little too loud. The list of dishes I always *have* to order is getting longer and longer though, which isn't good for the waistline...
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.28pm
I have eaten there many times and I think it is very authentic, like the crowded and hectic Tapas bars of Seville.

I've not seen any negative comments but I think there is a possibility that people may find the staff 'rude'. I don't think they are, they're just naturally Spanish and can come accross as a bit stand-offish initially. However, this is just a misconception and (I know this sound pretentious) they are just like they are in Seville (the home of the Tapas bar.)

You just have to be fairly assertive when getting their attention. If you just stand there, you tend to get ignored.

However, I've always found the food and wine to be really good.
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.55pm

I agree - a great place for a lively drink and quick bite - and very authentic.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: