History of the warehouse on Vinegar Yard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
MR MC Monday 15 November 2010 8.53pm
Please can anyone provide me with the history of the beautiful warehouse on Vinegar Yard (just of St Thomas Street)? It is the somewhat uniquely shaped (triple-fronted?), four storey high warehouse with faded red loading bay doors.

Does anyone know when it was built? Or, what it was originally used for? Or, if there was a reason for its rather interesting shape? Or, if there was any association between the use of the building and the name of the street (Vinegar Yard)?

Also, does anyone have any old photos/images of it as a working warehouse in the Victorian period?

Thank you
Tolstoy Monday 15 November 2010 10.03pm
Enjoy it whilst you still can:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4828
beetroot Monday 15 November 2010 10.18pm
I'd be interested in it's history too. I think it's very special.
According to people on SkyscraperCity most locals haven't noticed the warehouse.
Tolstoy Tuesday 16 November 2010 10.22am
I've never really understood the argument that you always have to knock everything down before building on a plot. It strikes me that a truly imaginative architect would jump at the chance of finding a way look to incorporate this beautiful warehouse into any design.
PinkStar Monday 22 November 2010 3.41pm
Errr.. I believe the BVAG/ or associated members are planning to get this listed and to submit a planning application. All is not lost, I do have some background if you want it.
wpoole Tuesday 19 April 2011 9.19pm
Not sure if you're still watching this thread, but I'm keen to find out more about the background of the warehouse - can you help?
alexwindsormusic Wednesday 11 January 2012 1.36am
For help in researching this property, it is useful to know its address:

1-7, SNOWSFIELDS, LONDON, SE1 3SU

(Historically, it was 9-17 Vinegar Yard, but Vinegar Yard is not officially a street anymore, it's part of the carpark now.)
alexwindsormusic Wednesday 11 January 2012 4.41am
It was a leather workshop until as recently as 1999 - S.C Hall & Son.

They've since moved to Discovery Business Park, St James's Road, LONDON, SE16 4RA.

The building has been empty ever since.
duncr Wednesday 11 January 2012 1.06pm
I've seen it on an old map listed as a Hop Warehouse
rose-anne Saturday 3 March 2012 8.22am
I would be very interested in this topic. My ancestors used to live in 9 Vinegar Yard in the late 1800s.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions