Longridge House.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 November 2010 3.23pm
Hi,i used to live in Longridge House on the Rockingham Estate in the 60's and 70's.I was just wondering if there are any people on this board who lived there at the same time as me?.I remember Brians Newsagents,and Dennis the Greengrocer.Oh,there was also Frank who had the Electrical shop on Harper Road.I attended Joseph Lancaster School from 1961 until 1968.Cheers.
Wednesday 17 November 2010 6.17pm
I lived in Longridge House from 1950 to 1968. I went to Joey Lanc too and left in 1960 to go to Trinity. I recall the shops you listed but Franks was the oil shop not the electrical shop - there was Fordhams the grocers, Wally's the sweet shop with the Fling machine, the bagwash shop, Lucette de Paris the hairdressers (Lucette married Dr Radcliffe from the surgery opposite). There was the snobs of course (shoe repairs) and the butchers but the names have long since been erased from my memory. In fact. you could get all your general weekly shopping in that small parade of shops in Harper Road which everyone used to do before the shopping centre was built. Don't forget the pubs - The Standard and William IV and the Squires youth club!
Sunday 21 November 2010 9.25am
My Aunt Rosemary lived in Brunlees house, perhaps you may remember her? she was a very active member of the St.Matthews church and the original community leader!

You would often see her collecting for the regular jumble sales, prams, pushchairs,wheelchairs anything that could carry her treasure back. She would repair them, sew buttons on..if anyone died and the flat needed clearing out she would drag her strongarm helpers out to help..normally me! We would lug furniture down four floors..she was in her late sixties then..She would wash bedding out and 'sell' them to people who had been allocated flats from the homeless list for pennies, often less than the price of the cotton!

She sounded like the Queen,very well spoken and despaired of my cockney accent..she had been an officer in the war, a secretary in I.C.I yet was very happy to help people out so retired. She always was dragging me to night school, Italian, she mastered it..I did not..pottery? her was excellent mine looked like Demi moors in Ghost..She passed her German A level six months before she died of cancer in 1989.

All of the Rockingham attended the service in the old jumble sale hall at St.Matthews as the church was closed by then..sometimes when going past Meadow Row or near the Smoke Hole or where it used to be, I 'see' her, brown coat with a fur collar she had found and attached, a jaunty hat and of course pushing a pram loaded with 'treasures'!

I miss her still...
Monday 22 November 2010 7.26pm
Jan the old one, what a lovely tale and what a wonderful woman, thanks for sharing it. I did not know her, or should I say I cannot recall knowing her (the old grey cells ain't working so good these days) but I am sure my mum would have. In fact, (grey cells now stirring) when she died and I was sorting through her belongings, a lady from St Matthews via Rev Keith Pound, came to collect what wasn't needed and she didn't sound as if she was from the Rockingham if you get my drift!!
Monday 22 November 2010 8.33pm
Sorry Jan,don't recall your Aunt,but Eileen,i remember Keith Pound very well.
Tuesday 9 April 2013 3.51pm
I know I have picked up this conversation a bit late but I was born in Longridge House in 1950 and moved out in 1973 . I think I remember that Eileen lived on 3rd floor and had a brother called Alfie ? Is my memory letting me down . The reason I got on the website was that I went to Keith Pounds birthday party last weekend . I googled him in the hope of finding out his age and I stumbled upon this conversation . I certainly remember the shops in Harper road and had a paper round with Brians paper shop although I think we called it Beadons . I was paid 12/6 for a seven morning week surely a bit mean even by the standards of the day !
Saturday 12 October 2013 4.03pm
The paper shop was called Gibbons.
Monday 30 March 2015 11.57pm
hi Gordon the paper shop was gibbons.brians dad was pat his mum was ivy.anyway I might know you I used to live in bramwell.i went to joey lanc. aswell
Tuesday 31 March 2015 10.05am
Pete in Canada, I remember George Gibbons, his sister Mary lived a few doors down, Mary was a real character. By the time I moved to our street George had died and left his money to Mary , she was not able to read very well and a neighbour had to read out a letter which stated the amount of money he had left, she thought it said five thousand, in fact it was fifty!
Tuesday 31 March 2015 11.05am
Keith Pound would remember my Aunt Rosemary !
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: