Guy's Hospital makeover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 November 2010 10.31pm
It's not often I get cross but this has had me raging:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4944

Guy's is an ugly building, and perhaps the 'energy efficient coating' will improve both the appearance and energy efficiency.

HOWEVER, what the *beep* do the Guy's & St Thomas' Charity think they are doing commissioning a sculpture to put on top of the building? How much is this going to cost? What benefit is it to the hospital? How is a sculpture on top of Guy's going to help you when you're ill and stuck in a ward staring at grey walls? I want the charity to spend it on the inside, cheering up patients, making patients comfortable, not spending it on ridiculous gestures such as this. They should be ashamed of themselves, and if anyone can confirm that it is going ahead (which I assume by the article that it is), I will be writing to the charity to express my disgust.

And breathe...
Thursday 18 November 2010 3.27pm
It's highly unlikely that the funding for this will have anything to do with the charity. These kinds of projects are usually funded by the Arts Council and private investment, so save your ink.
Thursday 18 November 2010 4.30pm
Is the Arts Council private now?

Anyway Guy's should not be prettied up. It's period brutalism is a fine contrast to the Shard.
Friday 19 November 2010 5.51am
brutal it certainly is...and as it stands an eyesore
Friday 19 November 2010 7.19am
This:

or this:

Friday 19 November 2010 9.14am
I just think when walking through the swing doors entrance that they should remove the lines on the floor, makes me eyeballs go funny...thought it was just me until walking behind an elderly couple heard them say they felt sick looking at the floor and she told her husband to close his eyes!
Friday 19 November 2010 11.04am
Not sure what your getting at Mark. The Arts Council will certainly be involved and there will no doubt be corporate sponsorship involved. Or is this a dig along the lines of 'tax payers money funding unmade beds, etc'? A rather tiresome argument I'm afraid and not one which deserves a response from me; file under 'cycling nazis', 'feral children running amok amongst the cultural elite', 'beggars swamping our streets', etc.
Friday 19 November 2010 1.21pm
Mark...as far as the Guy's Tower bit of the picture is concerned I really can't see much difference...except the mock-up is assumed to happed on a nice bright day and the real picture didn't...apart from the new extra bit on the top. As an impression of what may be to come it really isn't a very informative rendition of anything discernable IMHO.
Friday 19 November 2010 1.48pm
It's the rendition from the architects pdf doc. The difference is the cladding, which to my eye changes the brutal integrity of the tower. Yesterday's architecture of intimidation is tomorrow's heirloom. I've always taken a grim satisfaction in this filing cabinet to die in as an emblem of the welfare state.
Friday 19 November 2010 1.51pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Not sure what your getting at Mark. The Arts Council will certainly be involved and there will no doubt be corporate sponsorship involved. Or is this a dig along the lines of 'tax payers money funding unmade beds, etc'? A rather tiresome argument I'm afraid and not one which deserves a response from me; file under 'cycling nazis', 'feral children running amok amongst the cultural elite', 'beggars swamping our streets', etc.
Blimey! I salute your disdain.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: