Mugging by St Saviours footbridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 19 November 2010 9.42am
On Wednesday 17th just after 5pm a lady was mugged by Browns by the footbridge at St Saviours dock. It looked like two kids on bikes grabbed something and she ran after them screaming help. My wife and I had just walked through the passage on the East side of the dock. We ran after them but didn't catch up, they went past the Design Museum and down towards Gainsford Street.

This instance seemed inevitable as the area past the Design Museum until the footbridge is almost pitch black as the lights haven't worked for ages.

Does anyone know who is responsible for the lights?

Surely Browns would want the area to be better lit to improve their trade?

As part of the Thames path, this route is used by lots of people. It amazes me that in 2010 so many people are put at risk by something as trivial as an inability to make a light work.
Friday 19 November 2010 10.30am
Where *exactly* are the lights you are referring to? Do they not work at all, or is it a case of the time they come on needing to be changed?
Friday 19 November 2010 11.36am
This is worrying.

On Monday evening a woman was attacked by a group of teenage boys in the passageway running from Tower Bridge Piazza through to Brewery Square.
Friday 19 November 2010 4.17pm
James B,

some of the lights along the Thames Path are not working at all and after the Browns restaurant it gets completely dark. I realised today that the light bulbs are completely missing.
Friday 19 November 2010 4.47pm
This is obviously very worrying, especially since it happened rather early, when the riverside is usually busy. That part of the promenade is indeed very dark. The passage between Tower Bridge Piazza and Brewery Square is usually well lit but deserted in the evenings - especially in the winter, when the Anchor Tap outdoor seating area is not used. Who does the river promenade belong to, by the way?
Friday 19 November 2010 8.00pm
AD wrote:
This instance seemed inevitable as the area past the Design Museum until the footbridge is almost pitch black as the lights haven't worked for ages.

The lights don't work at all after the Design Museum until the footbridge. I'm not sure if this is council, Port of London, or Butlers Wharf management who's responsible, but in my opinion it's a disgrace.
Saturday 20 November 2010 8.00pm
Who's the counsellor for that area? May be they could push for the lights to be repaired.
Saturday 20 November 2010 10.39pm
The lights outside Browns haven't worked in a couple of years. It's worrying that there is a gang of kids attacking people.
Tuesday 23 November 2010 4.09pm
I emailed Cllr Anood Al-Samerai, and received the following response:

"Local Liberal Democrat councillors have been concerned about the lighting on this section of the Thames Path and have been raising the matter with council officers and the legal department.

The problem appears to be that, through a legal anomaly, neither the council nor the Port of London Authority are responsible for the lights. Apparently a licence for the jetty was granted from the Port of London to the restaurants, but nothing was ever formally agreed about who was responsible for upkeep of the lights. I am aware that the council has recently met with the managing agents of the restaurant building to see if progress can be made. Local councillors have also offered to attend further meetings to make sure that this is resolved as soon as possible.

In light of your e-mail, I will obtain an update from the council about the current position of the negotiations and let you know. I will also be attending the local Safer Neighbourhood meeting on Thursday and will make sure that local police are aware and providing extra patrols in this area.
I do hope that this will be helpful and will keep you informed."

I was impressed that I got a quick response, and will post any further updates. I still think it's a disgrace that the situation has been like it is for a couple of years. No wonder Browns never has any customers!
Tuesday 23 November 2010 5.32pm
I think the council should just get the lights sorted out for the safety of people who live and work in the area, rather than have everyone sit around while the buck is passed!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: