Hungerford Bridge graffiti vandal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 November 2010 11.52am
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4961

Quote:
At the Newington Causeway railway bridge he caused 10,000 of damage, whilst the bill for the cleanup at Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre reached 8,540.

His tags were also found at London Bridge Station (2,000) and Borough Market (4,000) as well as King James Street (4,000).

The total damage caused by Moore was estimated at more than 113,000.

10,000 to clean up Newington Causeway railway bridge!!!
Why wasn't he made to clean and repaint the bridge. Whoever charged 10k to paint over some graffiti should have been jailed for ripping off the council. Surely these clean-up costs are grossly exaggerated.

Related news & features

Wednesday 24 November 2010 12.32pm
But I'm glad he got banged up, these horrible people tagging every possible surface should indeed be made to clean up as WELL as a jail sentence.
Wednesday 24 November 2010 12.48pm
I would think the safety standards of a company repainting an active railway bridge might be slightly different from those of your average grafitti artist....
Thursday 25 November 2010 9.34am
12 months in jail wont help anyone!

a high tree and a short rope would be more cost effective and there would be less chance of reoffending.
Thursday 25 November 2010 10.36am
Very radical, bigphil, very radical.
Thursday 25 November 2010 11.51am
Jackie, i was listening to "simple man" by Charlie Daniels at the time.
please dont hit me up for plagarism!

cheers
Thursday 25 November 2010 1.53pm
2 years in prison for graffiti? seems excessive to me, given the skills he'll learn from his inmates will be more sinister than "tagging". surely 2 years community service cleaning up graffiti would be a more constructive punishment for everyone?
Thursday 25 November 2010 2.19pm
Yes indeed. In a chain gang at that!
Monday 29 November 2010 1.15pm
The older I get the more I dislike the sight of badly executed 'dubs', the visual litter of chrome tags strewn along London's rail routes. But will jailing the writers responsible make them more responsible citizens on release? Or will it make others less likely to do the same? Doubt it.

A community service order 'patching' over graffiti or cleaning it off might at least have a pleasing irony, but chain gangs are not a good look for a progressive capital city, what with Olympics coming up and all.

A night in the cells and a fine derailled my nascent career in political grafiti (this was nearly thirty years ago in another city) although my co-defendant went on to produce some truely ugly graffiti, mostly the word 'NO!' written very large in red, for some years after this, so different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Tell you what, I get quite excited when I catch a glimpse of Gold Peg (mentioned previously in these forums); caught sight of this artist's trademark on high up on a building when driving up Kilburn High Road on Saturday and it made my day.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: