Thomas A Becket Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
MartinMc Thursday 25 November 2010 7.42pm
Hello All,

I wandered past the old Thomas A Becket pub on Old Kent Road this evening and it looked like they were fitting it out inside. I could see the shape of something that looked like it could be a bar. Does anyone know what's going on? Has there been a license application or similar?

Martin

Advertisement

chalkey Thursday 25 November 2010 9.57pm
You've rekindled old memories of the 'Becket.' I remember 'Enery' Cooper training in the upstairs gym, and I believe David Bowie used to rehearse there in the early seventies. I aslo the remember the mina bird in the cage who used to swear like a trooper, eagerly encouraged by the patrons.
I know the Becket was an art gallery for a while, but the last I heard, (about eighteen months agon, ) was that it was up for sale, (I think for 1,250,000,) for conversion to apartments.
Jan the old one Friday 26 November 2010 10.11am
Just trying to think of the Governor of it Chalkey, he died unexpectedly then his wife/girlfriend run it for a while. He has a great massive gravestone at the cemetary. memo to self...must increase me brain cells!
chalkey Friday 26 November 2010 10.17am
Never knew the name of the Governor, Jan, so can't help there. As for the brain cells, I'd love to help, but I'm already overdrawn.
Jan the old one Friday 26 November 2010 2.45pm
Tommy gibbons/gibbings?
MartinMc Thursday 2 December 2010 9.33pm
Went in tonight and spoke to the guys who are refitting it. They've leased the property and are going to be opining a bar/cafe there in early Feb. It'll have a late licence.
Gazzarc Sunday 5 December 2010 8.32am
Jan the old one wrote:
Tommy gibbons/gibbings?

According to the story my Dad always tells it's Gibbons.
MartinMc Friday 22 April 2011 11.23am
The fit out of the pub seems to be wrapping up and they had an advert for staff outside recently. Anyone heard anything about when it is opening?
James Hatts Friday 22 April 2011 11.44am
Frank H Tuesday 10 May 2011 7.26am
I noticed it has been refurbished - has anyone been yet? Any good...?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions