Funny and not so funny comments you have heard tourists make.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 26 November 2010 11.56pm
Funny and not so funny comments you have heard tourists make.
Here is my top 5,
No5 Donít go to London Bridge thereís nothing there (American tourists by Tower Bridge,)
No 4 Oh my god it looks nothing like the Eiffel tower,( American tourists by the London Eye,)
No 3 You cant see Big Ben (Tourists on the top of St Paulís Cathedral,
No2 They should put a Henry Moor there (Tourist talking about Eros in Piccadilly circus,
No 1 Total Crap
French tourists Talking about Berkeley Homes
St Georges wharf.
So there you have it out the horses mouth.
Saturday 27 November 2010 7.21am
Not an SE story, nor a recent one but...on the no. 9, picking up at Harrods and proceeding west along Knoghtsbridge, past the recently and magnificently restored Albert Memorial "Gee Honey, what's that?" "It's King Arthur's Tomb," the confident reply. Stifeld sniggers and groans around the top deck!
Saturday 27 November 2010 10.00am
Years ago, while taking an American family, husband and wife in late forties to mid fifties, older couple, presumably parents or parents-in-law, from Trafalgar Square to Kensington.
While negotiating Hyde Park corner one of the younger couple asked "What is that statue in the centre of the island?"
I replied that it was the victory statue to commemorate WW1.
The older gentleman murmured, "Oh yeah, 1917 to 1918."
I couldn't resist it, "It might have been 1917 to 1918 to you pal, but for my grandad it was 1914 to 1918!"
Saturday 27 November 2010 10.58am
This happened in New York where I met a couple in a bar.

When I told them I came from London the lady said "I love Paris" I corrected her and said "No I come from London". She turned to her husband and said "You remember Paris honey, you know the capital of London"
Saturday 27 November 2010 1.00pm
It's amazing how many tourists have asked me for directions to London Bridge when they actually meant Tower Bridge - and not only Americans. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this.
Saturday 27 November 2010 8.10pm
That's why the old London Bridge now spans a lake in Arizona, having been bought by the American entrpreneur, Robert McCulloch, in 1968 for the best part of $2,500,000. He thought he'd bought Tower Bridge. American's, we love you. Please don't ever change.
Saturday 27 November 2010 8.37pm
Have to say chalkey mate - that story IS an urban myth, although it is a good yarn over a pint.
Saturday 27 November 2010 10.53pm
Happy to be corrected.
'You're never finished learning 'til they put you in the grave.'

But which part is the myth? I believe the old London Bridge still spans Lake Havasu, Arizona. so I guess the 'myth' part is that he knew all along that he was buying London Bridge and not Tower Bridge.
Sunday 28 November 2010 10.32am
That London Bridge / Tower Bridge myth is still going?

Every time a tourist asks me where South-Walk is I want to laugh...
Sunday 28 November 2010 10.35am
Yep - and Green-Wich or my fave: Lie-Ses-Ter Square
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: