Local Heroes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 18 April 2004 9.48am
These are all those who helped with the Archbishops Park Open Day and include Kevin, Bill, Neil and Lang Rabbie with his Madiera Patisserie goodies. Plus James for his publicity.

Bill and Rabbie both took photos and the latter has promised to post one here so you can all see the other side of SE1, which is kids and families and, sort of, ordinary living.

Neil said that when he first arrived in SE1 he noticed that you rarely see kids, as if Londoners appear fully formed at age 22. (Immaculate conception presumably, plus some form of growth hormone.) But he now knows better. We managed to give out about 150 creme eggs at one each per child and I for one was exhausted by the end.

So was it good? People said it was, and most seemed to stay for the full three hours. Groundwork Southwark and Southwark Play Department (yes I thought we were in Lambeth...) were really pleased with the numbers taking part in the consultation and surprised by the strong views expressed. They had not realised how precious the park is to a community that has very little else. We had a great clown (Willy Wont'he - as used by Gordon Brown for children's parties at No 11 - www dot partyfuntimes dot com) a good bouncy castle, an energetic football tournament including winners and a man of the match (not Lang Rabbie), cricket, tennis and some great cups of tea.

We had a Lambeth Riverside SRB grant of 150 to purchase the creme eggs and more. Fine Crown bakery in Lambeth Road donated lots of cake, and Rococco chocolates, that lovely shop in the Kings Road, gave us a dozen special prize eggs, plus lots of mini eggs which promptly got reserved as special prizes for the mums. The sun shone. Two local councillors one of whom is Leader of Lambeth Council came along accompanied by the Executive Member for Parks.

So thanks to everyone, it went really well. The big thing now will be to make sure that the views expressed by local people are actually listened to. For some reason I have a feeling that the powerful lobby groups in the area who bang on about the need for beter and more intensive sports facilities won't want to. But if SE1 is to remain an area where families can live and kids can grow, we have to make sure they do.

Am happy to buy all helpers a drink on Tuesday - and make a toast to absent friends including TLMJJ, Deidre, and Mrs IM.

Post edited (18 Apr 04 10:51)
Sunday 18 April 2004 12.23pm
Well done to everyone. Sounds like it went swimmingly!
Sunday 18 April 2004 4.20pm
Hi all, it was good to meet up with Sarah and Lang Rabbie, it was amazing to see all the hard work that had come together so successfully.

I have taken the liberty of publishing a few shots on one of my sites, feel free to take a look, if you are of a sensitive nature do not click on the tab marked "adult", and obviously do not let your kids loose.

http://www.freewebs.com/bill_j/

I have had a few photos published in the past, by directing the editors of the SLP and the Southwark News, to the site and then sending them a copy of the photos, (the ones on the site are very much a lower quality), do you want me to give it a try Sarah?

Sarah mentioned that most people stayed for the full 3 hours, I can honestly say that I expected to stay for an Hour and shoot 36 shots, so was pleasantly surprised at 2 and a half hours and a hundred shots, I will have the CD to you within a few days.

Maybe even on my way home on Tuesday.

Again well done, marvellous.
Sunday 18 April 2004 8.30pm
We also managed to get quite a number of our residents down - thanks Sarah for emailing the posters to me - I was able to get a loads posted up around the area. All the kids from our area and the parents who came with them thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we put forward our views on your boards.

We will be there to help out, where we can in anything you need in the future. Even if it is just planting the eggs for the egg hunt....!

It is fantastic what you are doing with the park and we are very keen to be a part of things going forward.

Best regards,

Jenny
Blackfriars Community Action Group
Sunday 18 April 2004 9.11pm
I should included your name in the original thanks. I was so overwhelmed with creme eggs that I barely got a chance to even say hello. Hope I get anoother chance. SE1 Social?!
Monday 19 April 2004 9.08am
Got back from hols yesterday. Glad to hear it went well.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
jac
Monday 19 April 2004 11.18am
Congratulations sarah glad it went well Was very sad not to have been able to have come (at a baptism in hampshire) with my two lads but did tell loads of people about it so I hope they showed up. I think it is us that should be buying you a drink tuesday for doing so much for the SE1 community

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: