Use salt as makeshift grit!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.20am
Good morning everyone,

We have had a number of people slip outside our office on the corner of Shad Thames and Jamaica Road, so we have covered the place with table salt which seems to provide a LOT more grip for people traversing the ice. Just a small recommendation if you have any troubles in front of your office/apartment!

Safe trips
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.35am
Yes, once again, it's time to invest in a pack of Saxa to prevent nasty slips.
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.49am
I saw a street cleaner complete with broom etc., standing in our street looking bemused...I think he was waiting for the snow to melt before he could sweep! why cant they use the flipping brains and shift a path on the pavements at least...
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.50am
The craze last year was to use cat litter, wasn't it? I imagine cheaper than table salt and easier on shoes/carpets.
Jac
Thursday 2 December 2010 2.36pm
beingjdc wrote:
The craze last year was to use cat litter, wasn't it? I imagine cheaper than table salt and easier on shoes/carpets.

Whilst away last year I used cat litter last year and it turned to a yukky sticky grey mud that took for ever to clean up, and stuck to your shoes. It made a right mess, it might be cheaper but I wouldn't recommend it. As for carpets it would ruin them.
Thursday 2 December 2010 2.55pm
Jac wrote:
Whilst away last year I used cat litter
Ooh Jac, you are adventurous. It's been ages since I've been somewhere without a proper flushing toilet ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 2 December 2010 3.05pm
Jac wrote:
beingjdc wrote:

Whilst away last year I used cat litter last year and it turned to a yukky sticky grey mud that took for ever to clean up, and stuck to your shoes. It made a right mess, it might be cheaper but I wouldn't recommend it. As for carpets it would ruin them.

Sounds like you used a clay-based one. There are others. Not sure what the paper ones will do.
Jac
Thursday 2 December 2010 10.05pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Jac wrote:
Whilst away last year I used cat litter
Ooh Jac, you are adventurous. It's been ages since I've been somewhere without a proper flushing toilet ;0)

Ha ha
the cat litter was for the cat who also came away with us.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: