Icy pavements in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 4 December 2010 10.45am
Pages Walk and Leroy Street are still like ice rinks. Whats the rest of SE1 like?
Saturday 4 December 2010 11.48am
The the main roads by Tower Bridge are okay, but the smaller residential streets are still slippy.

I never understand why Londoners don't get a spade out and clear off the streets themselves rather than moan about the council not clearing every square inch of ice away (Not complaining about you Pops btw; more like the whingers in my office). This sprinkling of snow in the south east is nothing compared to what happens elsewhere. I'm getting a little fed up getting emails from people from work sending me pictures of their cars covered in snow (with a perfectly clear road in the background) and claiming they are snowed in :-/ Homeowners and shop keepers are quite happy to clear off their own pavements and go about their business elsewhere in the country. One thing the councils should do better in London through is to put salt bins on the streets.

20 minutes with a broomhandle and some chunky boots, and path from TBR my front door was perfectly fine.
Saturday 4 December 2010 11.58am
I imagine most people are wary about clearing pavements in case some litigious opportunist passes by.
The website below states 'it's unlikely you'll be sued' but why risk it?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191868

Clearing snow and ice from pavements yourself
There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces. It's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully. Follow the snow code when clearing snow and ice safely.
Saturday 4 December 2010 12.14pm
Tower Bridge Road end of Abbey Street still all icy as hasn't been gritted at all.
If there was a salt bin I wouldn't mind chucking a bit about altough not sure about shovelling snow. I put cheap salt down along our communal balcony walkway and that cleared it.But I don't fancy paying out for a street's worth of salt.
Saturday 4 December 2010 2.16pm
Where I live is almost cleared up, but Pages Walk to OKR and the other way to Leroy Street are slippery. I wouldnt mind clearing the paths if I had the equipment.
Saturday 4 December 2010 2.44pm
A new grit bin appeared on the corner of Snowsfields and Kipling Street in preparation. I thought the same was happening all over, but then I haven't seen any others.
It's all slush where I've been today, including Tooting.
Saturday 4 December 2010 3.10pm
I managed to use a piece of hardboard to clear the fresh snow on Monday, but if you don't get in early forget it - last nights rain has cleared most of the snow, but watch out for freezing Sunday night.
Sunday 5 December 2010 12.37am
While outside strata had been gritted buy the buildings staff, the elephant subway ramp was an ice slide most of this week.
Sunday 5 December 2010 1.42am
There's a few patches around Lower Marsh. I managed to fall over earlier. Embarrassingly, it was in front of a group of people!
Sunday 5 December 2010 3.55pm
In Belgium, where I spend all too much time, you are required to clear the pavement in front of your house/office. It was still pretty treacherous in Brussels last week, and -8C mid town.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: