Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Current: 15 of 15
Thursday 12 September 2013 2.52pm
It's worth noting that many of those who live near the IWM take the view that Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park is also a "small family park" and take a dim view of attempts to fill it with memorials/artworks relating to conflict just because the IWM happens to be located there.

I would have been amazed if, for instance, the Friends of GMH Park would have supported the installation of the 9/11 artwork there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 12 September 2013 7.14pm
I think that's a fair point, it's easy to view such public parks as popular areas, not exactly the same as the park next to us. I was actually thinking of the peace garden, but it probably wouldn't fit and is likely to change the peaceful nature of it.

Of course, the biggest problem is that we have very few green spaces in SE1 and anything that brings in lots of people will have an impact on those who live locally. There is no local connection of 9/11 to SE1 and if we are going to create memorials, perhaps we should be remembering those who died in the Blitz. It surprises me there is so little locally, given the impact on both people and buildings.
Thursday 12 September 2013 8.55pm
Zoe wrote:
... There is no local connection of 9/11 to SE1.....
Precisely. Nor is 9/11 the sole example of the needless death of innocent people.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 13 September 2013 9.34pm
ColinHP wrote:
Kellandj. Potters Fields (sic) is a small family park and, in the opinion of many (I would suggest the vast majority), TOTALLY unsuited as a memorial site.

oh dear, the 'silent' majority.

what a pointless argument.

for your information, the park already has a memorial, to one lil patrick - and she'd be turning in her grave at your nonsense, if it wasn't that her communism forbids it.

i'd love her to be alive again to give your sort a serve!

you just have no idea, and the community's opinion was never truly tested ... just the rich shouting nimby nonsense prevailed.
Friday 13 September 2013 10.53pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogersg/6123643413/] just so we all know what it looks like.
Saturday 14 September 2013 10.37am
Generally I find the silent majority's silence more worthy than the miniscule vociferous and chippy minority's noisy prosecution of their viewpoints.
The silent seem to be saying, by their silence, the Olympic Park is the place for the 9/11. memorial.
The capitulation by councils and government to capitalism is another and worthy argument, but I suspect self-aggrandisement and payola in one form or another has much to do with that capitulation.
Saturday 14 September 2013 12.02pm
To be honest,I think the "couldn't care less"ers are probably the majority.

There is a nice memorial in Grosvener square,a garden seems much more fitting to me.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Current: 15 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: