Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15
Monday 20 December 2010 7.40pm
this does all seem like rather an overreaction
Monday 20 December 2010 9.38pm
This is currently on the Southwark Council Website re the (DRAFT) approval of the Girders application:

Draft of Decision Notice

Planning Permission was GRANTED for the following development:

Erection of a work of public art, close to the river and City hall, proposed by the 9/11 London Project Foundation (an educational charity that raises awareness and understanding), comprising steel uprights of between 5m and 8.5m within a pool with lighting.

At: POTTERS FIELD PARK TOOLEY STREET LONDON SE1

Subject to the following condition:
1. ...
2. ...
3. ...
4 The piece of public art approved under this application shall not be installed until the existing sculpture on the site has been removed.

Reason
This application has been considered on the basis of this single item of public art in this location. It is not considered that having two pieces of public art, of very different style and character in this part of Potters Field would be appropriate in visual terms, and as such, in accordance with policy 3 13 Urban Design of the adopted Southwark Plan.[/b]

(this presumably refers to the slave.)
(and the Council still does not know how to spell Potters Fields Park.)
Thursday 23 December 2010 9.31am
...and so the fairy tale moves on. The shepherdess has now moved her sheep to the fields of the potters. There they graze happily on the rich grass, enjoying for the time being the peaceful protection of the slave. But will the sheep soon turn into girders? Or will they quietly graze the fields for ever?
Thursday 23 December 2010 11.26am
They'll get a good price at the market.
Friday 24 December 2010 12.57pm
Getting lost with this, I thought all the other threads earlier on were that they wouldn't be able to do it, irrespective of planning permission, unless the lease holders of Potter's Fields agreed, or am I missing something?

The artist said this, in the interview James linked to:

"My intention is to create a work that will serve as a visual symbol for peace and tolerance and which also looks to the future,"

Visual symbol of peace and tolerance? How?

I think everyone who uses Potter's Fields is affected kellandj, wherever they live, assuming they use the Park. I've also no idea why you think it's some kind of victory getting some land back from the lease holders only to turn it into what will no doubt become a permanent fixture that I haven't heard anyone on here say they actually look forward to
Friday 24 December 2010 4.03pm
ultrapatrick wrote:
Getting lost with this, I thought all the other threads earlier on were that they wouldn't be able to do it, irrespective of planning permission, unless the lease holders of Potter's Fields agreed, or am I missing something?

The SE1 article wrote:
Asked why he had continued to seek planning permission in spite of the management trust's rejection of the proposed structure, Mr Rosengard said: "We intend to continue discussions in the weeks and months ahead".

Lets hope nothing 'persuades' the trust to change its mind.
Friday 24 December 2010 5.30pm
Michael Place wrote:
...the field of the potters.

It started as MR Pott's Field ...
there's only ever been one field, though.
Tuesday 11 January 2011 7.25pm
URGENT LOCAL ACTION IS NEEDED! Southwark Council slipped in their planning permission for this (in my view, wholly inappropriate) 9/11 sculpture in Potters Field Park just before Christmas. Not sure what steps are needed to ensure this won't get put up - but local objectors will need to act fast. The Park Management Trust meets again in a few months and if they approve it, it could be in place - just as the applicants want - in time for Sept 11 2011. If, like so many of us local residents, you object to this proposal, please respond to this thread so we can try to coordinate responses.
Tuesday 11 January 2011 7.41pm
I hope planning permission is granted.

I look forward to seeing a permanent memorial to 9/11 in Potters Fields Park.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 8.49am
Really, BSB?

I can't see the need, myself. Should we put up a memorial to the victims of the Tsunami, the floods in Pakistan, any of the numerous wars being fought in Africa, the victims of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.....?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: