Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15
Wednesday 12 January 2011 9.50am
Nope - just expressing my personal opinion and the other viewpoint. Folks like to post in the negative on emotive issues.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.11am
Don't see what's negative about questioning whether it's relevant to put up a memorial to some people who died on another continent.

Also don't see what's positive about putting up a memorial to said people.

And have no idea why any memorial (even if one yearns for it and thinks it hugely relevant) should be in PF Park.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.20am
If you put up memorials to something everywhere doesn't it detract from the significance of the actual place and the event itself? (Asked as someone who doesn't support it here but is very supportive of the efforts at Ground Zero and had 2 friends who diend in the event)
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.31am
it's NOT a memorial
i repeat, it's NOT a memorial
IT IS ART!
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.33am
Yes, urbanite but there are not many memorials on this monstrous scale that are also incredibly ugly. The location is even worse. London does not need more than one memorial to that event.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.34am
it is NOT a memorial
I repeat, it is NOT a memorial
It is 'art' ...
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.35am
@urbanite: I've no idea. I imagine the significance of any event is personal

Isn't the proposal a bit morbid?

Let's not forget:

Alex Clarke, chairman of the September 11 United Kingdom Families Support Group, wrote to Southwark Council on Monday setting out her group's objection to the proposal.

"Our loved ones died amongst the very wreckage that the 9/11 London Project Foundation plan to erect as a symbol," she wrote.

"I don't think the families and victims of the 7/7 bombings in London would feel it appropriate to erect the battered wreckage of a tube train, or a decapitated London bus, on the tenth anniversary of that event.

"This 8.5 metre tall image screams terrorism and brutality and we fear it will become a focus for a variety of demonstrations. Is this really a necessary teaching aid?"

She added that her group had been offered the pieces of steel but had declined them.

She concluded: "We already have a memorial. The Thames riverside deserves better."
Wednesday 12 January 2011 11.42am
kellandj however much you tell everyone its art its significance will be as a memorial...perception will be that its made from the steel superstructure of buildings that were destroyed in the most attrocious of ways and that this "installation" will be to make that event a feature in everyones' memory i.e. a memorial. If its "just" art then I find it somewhat distasteful.
Wednesday 12 January 2011 1.38pm
Fair enough, whether it is art is subjective. As is whether it is a suitable site. However, whether the idea and symbolism of it is offensive to the families of those who died isn't. I really can't believe anyone could want this to go ahead after hearing that.
Monday 17 January 2011 8.13pm
Since it may happen (subject to a decision by the High Court) we need a good name for the girders. I am not very imaginative, but suggest "Sheppard's Delight" as a starter. What do you suggest?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: