Girders for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 15
Tuesday 18 January 2011 11.35pm
Its not the right place.
Sunday 6 February 2011 12.01pm
There is a consultation meeting to be held on Monday 21st Feb at 6:30pm at 160 Tooley Street. Simon Schama will be attending to speak and answer questions.
Thursday 10 February 2011 12.52pm
Shad Thames Residents' Association has called an open meeting next Wednesday to discuss this scheme:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/10501

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 10 February 2011 3.25pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
There is a consultation meeting to be held on Monday 21st Feb at 6:30pm at 160 Tooley Street. Simon Schama will be attending to speak and answer questions.

I'll wager Simon Schama is in favour of the scheme.
My vote is aginst the Potters Field location.
I think it would be more appropriate in the grounds of the american embassy.
Friday 11 February 2011 3.45pm
The open meeting on Wednesday 16 February at 7.30pm is a genuine opportunity to share your views about the proposed 9/11 memorial in Potters Fields Park. See James Hatts' message of 10 February above; the link with full details is:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/10501

As to the meeting being organised by the 9/11 Foundation on Monday 21 February, Simon Schama is an official advisor to the project.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 8.37am
At the last meeting of the Board of Directors of the Potters Fields Management Trust the proposal to erect the monument was overwhelmingly rejected. As far as I understand, Southwark Council is trying to push through the proposal and so it will be brought back on the agenda at the next Potters Fields meeting. The Board of Directors represents various organisations (see http://www.discoverlondonbridge.co.uk/default.aspx?m=41&mi=265) so the votes depend on complex political considerations. The results of various public consultation events could be used to sway the opinion either way. So from this point of view it is probably quite important to express our views by turning up at the proposed meeting by the 911 project on 21 February (6:30pm at 160 Tooley Street). Tonight's meeting at Shad Thames (see previous post) can also be useful for that.

My personal objection to the project is the sheer monstrosity of the proposed monument. I would not object to a simple plaque placed in the park, but 8m tall deformed girders will be completely out of place, particularly next to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London!
Wednesday 16 February 2011 9.23am
Plantago wrote:
I would not object to a simple plaque placed in the park..
But why should there be anything in PFP to commemorate Sept 11th?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 11.10am
@ Ivanhoe....exactly!

I just don't get this idea at all as I have posted about on here previously....I am very confused about why this should be happening at all too.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 3.24pm
I wonder where Simon Hughes stands (or sits) on this crazy idea?
Wednesday 16 February 2011 3.41pm
PLEASE LET SHAD THAMES RESIDENTS' ASSOCIATION KNOW YOUR VIEWS DIRECTLY.

If you cannot attend tonight's meeting at the Bridge House at 7.30, it would still be very helpful for you to pass on your views directly by email. Follow the link referred to in my entry above on 11 Feb for details.

As to Simon Hughes, he has been contacted by several residents but I am not aware that he has made any response.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: