Bear Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 21 December 2010 12.55am
hello just tripped over this forum whilst looking for bear lane in connection with relatives who lived there in 1838 and really found it fasinating, all my family seem to have come from bermondsey/southwark area and l realise all has changed there but to see some of the old names still popping up is great, does anyone have history there........pleased to meet you all
Tuesday 21 December 2010 7.51pm
My Mum went to the school in Bear Lane, she died last year almost 91, had a senior moment and cant think of the name of it! My first job was at C.Islers, 33 Bear Lane, Artestian Well Drillers...via the Forum I was contacted by som eone who was doing research of the Company and it's founder...wonderful stuff!
Tuesday 21 December 2010 10.17pm
its good to read others with interest in this area, all my family have come from here, my mum went to king and queen st school and born in aberdour st.l followed her side to g/g/g/parents born 1870 in weswtern terrace camilla rd. want to get to southwrk town hall to get further info, can you just turn up and see things do you know ?
Tuesday 21 December 2010 10.22pm
just reading your message again and artestian well drillers in bear lane ! did they have any pics of it ? this relative in 1838 lived at no 5 but cannot seem to find them on census list around there, l have tried to find pics of some of the housings around there and it seems quite shocking,
Tuesday 21 December 2010 10.45pm
There was a school in Bear Lane?
Tuesday 21 December 2010 11.12pm
was bear lane a big road then ? l was under the impression it was a 'lane' but sounds quite important with companies and a school
Wednesday 22 December 2010 9.46am
Mum was born in Hopetown place, just off Zoar street in 1918. It was a primary church school?
Wednesday 22 December 2010 1.28pm
The school was called Christ Church....very old school, mixed 1/9 Bear Lane.
Wednesday 22 December 2010 4.18pm
Would it have been on the site where the flats are now? Adjacent to the White Hart?
Wednesday 22 December 2010 5.42pm
Hi Tolstoy, just googled bear lane, wondered if islers incorporated 33 and 36 because the door in the two storey building and the windows above look familiar, plus the entire Islers was on the corner of Burrell street where the exit for the plant shop and workmen was. I am sure when upstairs filing I used to look accross the road at a school type building? One day legs permitting I'm going to knock on the flipping door and ask if I could look around! probably changed beyond all recognition inside!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: