Being a witness can be a risky business

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 April 2004 7.08pm
I was down Walworth Road today and there are a couple of those yellow police 'Can You Help' signs opposite Safeways. It seems a man was stabbed and fatally wounded last week - that's a polite way of saying he was murdered. I wonder if anyone responds to these signs, or do they just give the impression that crime is rife.
If someone hasn't already come forward out of civic duty, then surely they are not going to be persuaded by these appeals.
Monday 19 April 2004 7.15pm
I seem to recall the Met announcing that they were drastically cutting back the use of those yellow signs as they reckoned they did more harm in terms of creating fear of crime than the benefit in terms of witnesses coming forward.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 April 2004 5.18am
Don't we often read of new witnesses coming forward after the re-launch of old, high profile investigations? Sometimes after several years.
rm
Tuesday 20 April 2004 8.38am
i think the point of the signs is to jog peoples memories.

fear of crime is generally created by media hype and not reality.
Jon
Tuesday 20 April 2004 10.20am
I've seen some one in New Cross that actually said 'murder' on it, so this one could have been accidental stabbing, or stabing with intent just to injure slightly.
Tuesday 20 April 2004 10.44am
The one outside The George appeared to have "innocent" scrawled across it (and misspelled too I think).

stick yer frothy lager.......
Tuesday 20 April 2004 11.11am
I noticed the ones outside the George - had “Innocent” written across them 6 times, spelt 3 different ways - each one of them incorrect!
Tuesday 20 April 2004 11.44am
obviously guilty then

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: