Will you be able to get onto a tube on the south bank at new Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 26 December 2010 2.55pm
Hi there - moving to the area and curious about the new Blackfriars rail station entrance planned for Bankside. Sorry if its a silly question but will you be able to joint the tube network by going in that entrance or will you still have to walk over Blackfriars Bridge?
Thanks
Sunday 26 December 2010 3.15pm
Its only an entrance to the rail bridge, so you will have to continue across it to catch a tube from the actual station.
Sunday 26 December 2010 3.20pm
Thank you for the really quick reply! Do you think that there will be a way of entering ' the system' as at Waterloo East /Southwark and then walking along platform as you suggest ?
Tuesday 28 December 2010 6.51pm
Hmm, good question. Given the mess at Waterloo I guess they should think about it.
Thursday 30 December 2010 1.24pm
This is an interesting question. I've always assumed there would be some form of access in a manner similar to that at Southwark/Waterloo East, partially prompted by the proposed re-branding of the station to Blackfriars and Bankside. However your post prompted me to look at it a bit closer and I found this bit on the TfL website about Blackfriars tube, listing the benefits upon completion, it makes no reference to access directly from the Southbank, nor do the photographs of the Southern station have a Tube sign branding...

Anyone else know anything concrete?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/11207.aspx
Thursday 30 December 2010 5.08pm
It looks like access from the southbank is just a covered walk way. No mention of travelators.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/view/40

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/app/webroot/img/cache/BFsouthbankentrance_web.jpg
Friday 31 December 2010 12.15pm
Hi

I've seen some planning drawings of the station and on the north side of the river it appears to have a single ticket hall - i.e. one set of barriers for tickets/oyster cards, and then you elect to take the rail or the tube.

I therefore can't see how they could prevent one from entering through the southern entrance and walk along the platforms then into the northern ticket hall and into the tube (unless they programme the southern barriers not to be valid for tube users but that seems OTT). It may not represent much of a time/distance/comfort benefit compared to walking over the road bridge though.
Saturday 1 January 2011 10.14am
Thanks for the further thoughts. I was wondering whether the need to get lots of tourists to the South Bank , Tate etc meet that an easy access to the Tube , even if not a full station , would have been a good idea. Perhaps when this was planned the South Bank was a much less busy area ..
Thursday 13 January 2011 11.17pm
The south side will indeed have a ticket office but will be run by national rail and it will have barriers for gaining entrance to the trains `national rail`...if you wish to use the tube you would have to pass by the barriers on the north side `national rail`..then go down to the tube and explain what you have just done....so please if you want the tube walk over one of the bridges..
Friday 29 April 2011 12.58pm
I asked the question via the Rail Website months ago and have just been dent this reply from The PR department:
' I can confirm that customers will be able to walk along the platform to the tube, but you will need a valid ticket to pass through the barriers.'

So there we go ..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: